This pie has the flavor of a classic pumpkin pie but with an incredible creamy texture from the cream cheese! This pumpkin pie recipe is always a huge hit!
How I created this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
So almost everyone loves traditional pumpkin pie, but I can never eat to much cause the texture kinds gets to me – weird I know. BUT I love the flavor SOOOO enter this cheesecake swirl pumpkin pie.
It’s AMAZING the flavor I love but with a creamy with a smooth texture! My sister made it a few years ago for me and now I make it all the time. AND with the swirls on top it’s so pretty.
AND I have a video for you! 4 of my favorite pies – This recipe, my Sour Cream Lemon Pie, Coconut Cream Pie AND my Pecan Tart. YUM!
Here are some different, easy to use crusts recipes, but IMO, is best with a classic American flaky crust!
AND don’t you LOVE my pumpkin shaped pie pan! IT’S SO CUTE! seriously I love it, although it is a little small, I don’t use all the filling like I do in a standard 9 inch pan. literally only works for pumpkin pie.
What are your favorite pies at Thanksgiving? I tend to make more desserts than I have people at dinner!
In addition to the pies above I also make A chocolate fudge pie and a chocolate chip cookie pie that are both in my Thanksgiving ecookbook.
I also make my Carved Pumpkin cake, Pumpkin ice cream, from a pumpkin pumpkin pie and caramel toffee ice cream pie! Quite a collection – huh?
Just take me to the Pumpkin Pie Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie, along with links to other pie recipes and get straight to this delicious traditional Thanksgiving pie – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Pie
– Even though pumpkin pie takes a long time to bake often the crust is under baked – so I recommend par baking – partially baking – the pie crust
– When partially baking the crust don’t prick the crust first – custard will seep through when you add it
– While this pie shape pan is fun I recommend a glass pie pan – it heats evenly, you can see if the crust is baked and it cools evenly and fairly quickly. Metal overheats and tends to leave to over baked crust and ceramic holds the heat too long and tends to over bake when cooling.
– Don’t over mix the cheesecake swirl – it’s more for the look than the texture. The swirls should sit on top and not sink into the pie.
– I recommend starting with some larger plops, rather than a bunch of small ones before swirling to keep the thick look to them.
– I like to roll out a little extra dough and cut out some leaves to add on top as well.
– To avoid the crust over baking you can cover it with a thin ribbon of foil or pumpkin pie crust shield
To make this Pumpkin Pie you’ll need
- Pie pan – This pumpkin-shaped one is adorable! or a 9 inch glass pan
- A pie crust recipe – my flaky pie crust is great with this pie
- pie crust bag
- french rolling pin
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Tin foil for the edges or pie crust shield
Homemade Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie
If you love these homemade pumpkin pies as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love this homemade Pumpkin Pie recipe you’ll love these other Thanksgiving recipes!
Carved Pumpkin Cake | From Scratch Homemade Pumpkin Pie | Sour Cream Lemon Pie
Coconut Cream Pie | Pecan Tart | Ice Cream Pie
To watch me make this cheesecake swirl Pumpkin Pie and three other Thankgiving pies play the video in the recipe card.
You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Pie recipe
- 1 flaky pie crust uncooked
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 12 oz full fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375.
- roll out the pie crust dough and place it in a 9 inch glass pie pan – chill for 30 mins in the fridge.
- line the crust with parchment or foil and fill with pie weights (or beans or rice)
- bake for 15 mins, then take out the parchment and bake another 5 mins – take out and let cool
- Beat sugar and cream cheese on low until smooth.
- Put aside 1/2 C of the cream cheese mixture in a small bowl and add 1 Tbsp – stir until smooth and set aside for later.
- Add the pumpkin, flour and spices to remaining cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth, scraping the sides.
- add the eggs one at a time and beat until just combined
- Pour into crust.
- Spoon the cream cheese/milk mixture over pumpkin mixture in multiple plops – you want it to stay on top, not sink.
- Cut though cream cheese and pumpkin with knife in S Shaped curves in one continuous motion for marbled design.
- I like to roll out the extra dough and cut leaf shapes and add them to the top. Cover edge of crust to prevent burning. Remove the crust cover during the last 15 min of baking.
- Bake 40-50 min (you want it to still have a jiggle in the center). Cool 30 min then refrigerate overnight. Serve with fresh whipped cream
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
aimee @ like mother like daughter
Yum, this looks so delicious. I love pumpkin pie, but I think it would be so much better with the cream cheese in it! I wish I had gotten to taste this, and can’t wait to make it!
oh it really is! You guys totally should have taken some with you! I never did take more pictures of it!
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
So pretty! I am not a pumpkin pie fan, but I do love cream cheese!
If you like pumpkin flavor but not pumpkin pie (like me) you might like this! There’s just something about pumpkin pie texture that I don’t love.
This looks beautiful! Could you use a graham cracker crust with this recipe?
you totally could! I love mixing crusts up! let me know what you think!
I used graham cracker crust! I hope it turns out good!!!! Looks good. Only thing making me nervous is the crust b/c the graham cracker crumbles so easy. Fingers crossed!
how did it turn out? I’m wondering what you thought? I like doing a pecan nilla wafers crust with my pumpkin cheesecake so I bet it would be great with this pie too!
It turned out really good. I put tin foil around the edges so it wouldn’t burn. Also I don’t know if this had to do with it or not but I had to cook my pie for 2 hours and 10 mins. It was mushy in the middle and after the 2 hours it had become more intact. I don’t know if this had to with the ready to use pie crust or not. With the tin foil it didn’t burn being in that long.
Oh and Pecan Nilla Wafer sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!
it could be your oven temp, do other things take longer? my oven is 25 degrees off! Also graham cracker crusts are thicker, or if you had a metal pan it would change it as well, vs a raw crust in a glass pan! I’m glad you waited, went with your gut and cooked it longer!
Yeah things do take longer!!! I never even thought of that! It was a really good pie and was a hit at the feast. Stole the heart of the woman of the house, Big Grandma, who had to hide it so she could have more when all the company left. 🙂
get yourself an oven thermometer! I couldn’t bake without one. Find your true oven temp, and find hot and cold spots in the oven. super cheap and totally worth it!
Trying this as I type. I have made many very much the same. I changed a couple of things, wish me luck.
To use graham cracker or cookie crust, Microwave pumpkin ingredients until beginning to thicken well, before pouring into crust, then add the extra cream cheese swirl. That way the pie doesn’t take as long to bake and burn the crust.
thx for the suggestion! I have never tried that.
Just finished making the recipe and it looks delicious. Just curious he separate cream cheese is suppose to be mixed with the milk right? Do you use a certain milk? Should the mixture come out liquidy or is it still kind of hard? I don’t know if I did it right because I had a hard time making the marble.
I use whole milk for everything, it was still a little thicker, but it did swirl okay.
Made this tonight and my family is very happy! So good with my mom’s pie crust recipe. Will make this many times more I’m sure.
so glad you liked it! It’s def one we make every year!
This looks so good! I wanted to know if I plan to make this recipe with a fresh pumpkin from scratch how much pumpkin purée do I use?
I use the same amt, as long as you’ve strained it and it’s a similar thickness it doesn’t need to be adjusted.
Hi Ashlee! Thank you for sharing this recipe, looks amazing. I host Thanksgiving and was looking for something new to try dessert wise this year. I’ve never made a homemade pie crust before, that’s alittle scary to me lol I saw in the comments, you mention a nilla wafer pecan crust. Could you give me the measurements and exact ingredients you use for that?
use this, but with nilla wafer crumbs, and maybe 1/2 C chopped pecans? https://ashleemarie.com/graham-cracker-crust-recipe/
I’ve done pumpkin cream cheese swirl for years. Wouldn’t dream of making a plain pumpkin pie!
amen!!! the best of both worlds – flavor and texture!
What can i use to make this sugar free?
I am sorry – Im not a sugar free blogger and I don’t like sugar substitutes so I’m not really the right person to ask as I don’t know how any of the respond in baking. I’d recommend checking with a sugar free blogger to see what they recommend when it comes to sugar free baking