My mom loves pecan pie – but personally I never really got into it. Kinda like cupcakes, the flavor was great but the ratio is off for me, soooo much of that caramelly filling. ANYWAY – the first time I made this tart for my mom she determined it was way better than her beloved pecan pie and now I make two every year, one for her and one for the rest of us!
The crust is a pate sablee – which I talk about in this crust post – it’s very cookie like, AND even better easy to make! Then the filling I actually got from these pecan bars from Butter with a side of bread.
One of the best parts isn’t just that this tart tastes amazing but also that it’s so very easy to make! I enjoy them plain but you can also add whipped cream or even serve with some vanilla ice cream. My mom likes to warm hers up a bit then add some ice cream…. I’m already salivating!
The first time I made this my mom about died and decided she never needed pecan pie again (previously her favorite) Now I make two every year, one for her and the other for the rest of us!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cups chopped pecans
- Cream the butter, sugar, egg yolk and salt with a hand mixer
- Add the flour and mix, it will be crumbly
- Turn onto the table and press together
- divide into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap
- refrigerate for 30 mins
- roll our one of the crust disks
- press into a tart pan – either a 9 inch circle or a 14x4 long tart pan
- cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 325
- whisk together the egg, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla
- add the pecans and stir together
- Pour into the crust in the tart pan and spread
Bake for 25-30 minutes – checking at the 20 min mark.
- I recommend covering the edge of the crust so it doesn’t over bake.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Thanksgiving Dinner recipes:
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.