This homemade pumpkin pie is made with from scratch everything—including from scratch pumpkin puree!
How I created this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
So I’ve already shared how to make your own Pumpkin puree before but this time we’re not only making the puree but turning it directly into a pie!
While it’s a little more time consuming than simply opening a can its not hard at all and the results are AMAZING! The color won’t quite be what your used to from the can, but man alive is the flavor amazing… and the texture, it’s creamier IMO.
Then of course make any pie crust you want – for this I went with a classic flaky crust, but the pate sucree is really great for this pie as well! And of COURSE top it with fresh whipped cream!
Every year my daughter requests making a pie from a pumpkin vs from a can and it’s so easy to do I’m happy to oblige. One of the best parts of making your own puree is that you can make a huge batch (I’ve cooked 4 pumpkins today alone) and freeze it to use on any recipe.
I tend to freeze it in 1 C bags, with a few 2 C bags as well. So I have some choices. I simply pour some into a quart size freezer bag , close it, press it flat and freeze! And we’re having pumpkin bread tonight!
Just take me to the Pumpkin Pie Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for from scratch pumpkin pie, along with links to other pumpkin puree recipes and get straight to this delicious homemade pie – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect From Scratch Pumpkin Pie
– You can’t just use a large orange carving pumpkin – you need to get a sugar pumpkin, or pie pumpkin – they are about 5-6 inches around usually and almost every grocery store carries them in the fall!
– Pumpkin pie is similar to a custard so takes a long time to bake than most pies but often the crust is under baked – so I recommend par baking – partially baking – the pie crust
– When partially baking the crust don’t prick the crust first – custard will seep through when you add it
– I recommend a glass pie pan – it heats evenly, you can see if the crust is baked and it cools evenly and fairly quickly. Metal overheats and tends to leave to over baked crust and ceramic holds the heat too long and tends to over bake when cooling.
– To avoid the crust over baking you can cover it with a thin ribbon of foil or pumpkin pie crust shield
To make this Homemade Pumpkin Pie you’ll need
Pumpkin Pie made with From Scratch Pumpkin Puree
If you love these pumpkin puree recipes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Homemade Pumpkin Pie you’ll love these other pumpkin recipes!
To watch me make this Pumpkin Pie play the video in the recipe card. There will also be a short teaser video auto-playing.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie – made from a fresh pumpkin
- 2 sugar pumpkins (I used 1 1/2 for this pie)
Flaky Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts)
- 2 ½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ C shortening
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 C ice water you might need another 1 Tbsp
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 lrg eggs
- ¾ C packed light brown sugar
- 1 ¼ C heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- cut your pumpkin in half
- scoop out the guts, the seeds and strings, scoop it nice and clean
- cut off the stem’s
- place the pumpkin cut side down and pierce the back with a fork
- cover it with foil and bake it at 350 for an hour and a half
- let them cool slightly then scrap all the pumpkin out of the skin
- puree the pumpkin in a food processor, or in smaller batches in a blender
- if it’s too wet you can strain it, if it’s too dry you can add a tsp or two of water
- to drain – place a tea towel or 3 layers of paper towels into a strainer over a bowl and pour the puree into it, once it’s quit dripping it will be ready to use!
Flaky Pie Crust
- Mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Break shortening and butter into small chunks.
- Cut into flour by chopping vigorously with pastry blender
- Drizzle over ice water, using spatula cut in water until mixture looks evening moistened. You may need to add more ice water. When pressed together dough should look rough, not smooth.
- Divide dough in half and press into a round flat disk, wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins, or freeze.
- Roll out and fit into a 9 inch pie pan, fix rim, and refrigerate at least 30 mins more.
- line the crust with parchment or foil and fill with pie weights (or beans or rice)
- bake for 15 mins, then take out the parchment and bake another 5 mins – take out and let cool
- preheat oven to 425
- Mix all the pie filling ingredients until smooth, pour into the partially baked pie crust
- bake 15 mins then lower the temp to 350 and bake 35-40 mins
- Cool 2 hours
- beat all three ingredients together until soft peaks or stiff peaks form
- serve over a slice of pie!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020