Do you love pie? I do! AND pie crusts – I have a few go to pies and THIS ONE just got added to the list – it’s AMAZING! but if you ARE a pie lover check out My Pumpkin Cream Cheese pie and my Sour Cream Lemon pie. How about you? Any favorites I should add to my list?
Kay I have to just RAVE for a second. I love love love LOVE coconut – like it’s one of my top flavor (along with chocolate, lemon, caramel and peanut butter) so of COURSE I love this pie. BUT I just have to say it’s not just for coconut lovers – if ANYONE mildly likes coconut they will love this pie! it has a great texture and flavor and the creaminess… YUM! I like to use a pate sucree crust – BUT you can use any baked crust you prefer.
This video tutorial not only has this coconut cream pie in it but also my cream cheese pumpkin pie, Sour Cream Lemon Pie AND my Pecan Tart (available in the Thanksgiving ecookbook). oh YEAH! let me know which one your going to try first!
The secret is the shredded coconut. I love coconut, it’s one of my favorite flavors, but I don’t love the strands of coconut, it’s a texture thing. A few years ago I stared using my food processor to shred up the sweetened coconut for every recipe and I love it! BUT if you used all sweetened coconut for this pie it would be TOO sweet – so you’ll want to DEF get the unsweetened shredded coconut – trust me it makes a difference.
the most amazing coconut cream pie ever. Custard based and full of coconut flavor.
- 9 inch pie shell baked and cooled - I like the pate sucree
- 4 egg yolks beaten lightly
- 1/3 C cornstarch
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 14 oz coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 c shredded coconut
- 1/2 C sweetened coconut shredded in a food processor
- 8 oz stabilized whipped cream optional topping
- Stir the cornstarch and salt in a saucepan
- Whisk in the whole milk and coconut milk
- Cook over medium, stirring constantly, bring it to a boil, let it boil 1 min.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and ribbony
- in a thin stream pour 1/3 of the milk mixture into a bowl with the egg yolks, stirring constantly to temper the eggs
- Pour the warm egg mixture back into the saucepan and boil another min.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla, butter and shredded coconut.
- let it cool, stirring occasionally, then pour into the pie crust.
- Place in the refrigerator to cool and set.
- Before serving top with stabilized whipped cream
My kids were a little surprised when they first tried it – they thought it was my lemon pie! BAHAHAHA I hate it when I do that – bite in expecting one flavor but getting another! But they soon learned to tell the difference. This pie has a great flavor without being too strong, or too sweet! AND the creaminess – do die for! if you love coconut you have GOT to try this one!
So what is your absolute FAVORITE pie?