It’s easier to make a good pie crust than most people think. This classic american flaky pie crust is golden and delicious and the perfect base for any pie.
Growing up I didn’t like pies! Okay, that’s not true, there was one year when I asked for Pumpkin Pie instead of cake for my birthday… but that was a weird year.
Let’s face it, I’m a cake girl! BUT as I’ve become an adult I have branched out and really love pie! Turns out I just don’t like fruit pies.
I like the rich decadent pies – creams, chocolates, caramel, pastry, etc… The more sugar and fat the better. Oh and I still like Pumpkin!
So to get started with any good pie you have to have a good crust! This is my favorite, I make double or triple batches at a time and freeze the dough balls so when I’m ready for a crust all I have to do is thaw one! It’s good for sweet and savory pies.
This pie crust is the base for many of my favorite pies. To get more pie recipes and all of my Thanksgiving recipes I made a Thanksgiving digital cookbook.
To watch me make this pie crust and 3 other crust recipes watch the video in the recipe card. You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Perfect Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 ½ C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ C shortening
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 C ice water you may need an extra 1 Tbsp
- Mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Break shortening and butter into small chunks.
- Cut into flour by chopping vigorously with pastry blender.
- Drizzle over ice water, using spatula cut in water until mixture looks evening moistened (or continue to mix with your pastry whisks in the bosch). You may need to add more ice water. When pressed together dough should look rough, not smooth.
- Divide dough in half and press into a round flat disk, wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 mins, or freeze. Roll out and fit to pan, fix rim, and refrigerate at least 30 mins more.
- If baking crust: preheat the oven to 400. Place foil over pie and fill with weights (rice or beans will work). Bake for 20 mins. Lift out foil and weights, prick bottom with fork and return to oven 5-10 mins more.
- If filling the pie and baking further: mix 1 Lrg egg yolk and a pinch of salt. Brush the inside of pie, return to oven until glaze sets, 1-2 mins more.
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020