My Chocolate cake is one of the most delicious, rich, dense, moists cakes you’ll ever try and makes the perfect basic layered cake but it’s also the PERFECT cake for carving and building 3D cakes as well!
This recipe is probably my most requested. Anytime I share one of my cake tutorials someone always asks about my cake recipe that carves so well. Not only does it carve well but it tastes AMAZING too! Super rich, decadent (one of my favorite words) and moist (yes I know some people hate that word, but how else would you describe a cake – super not dry???).
Now the reason I’ve never shared this cake before… I’ve been protecting my cake recipes hoping to someday share them in a cookbook. But I figured after so many requests I should simply share it. So that people following my cake tutorials will have a good cake for carving.
Not only do I use this recipe for almost all my carved cakes but also anytime I simply want a delicious cake for myself. Pretty much every holiday or anytime I’m asked to bring a cake this is the one (my second favorite to bring is my Cinnamon Chocolate cake recipe – I’ll share that next month).
When I’m carving a cake I use straight ganache for frosting. In fact often when I’m simply making it as a layered cake to enjoy I use straight ganache. But sometimes I want a softer frosting (as the ganache sets and firms up – which is great for under ganache, but not necessarily what you want for a simple layered cake.). So this mix of buttercream and ganache is my go-to. It’s rich, creamy and smooth. I’m slightly obsessed!
AND of COURSE I had to make a video for my favorite recipe ever! Seriously I make this cake probably about 3-4 times a month. Always my first choice for pretty much any cake.
My Chocolate cake is one of the most delicious, rich, dense, moists cakes you'll ever try and makes the perfect basic layered cake but it's also the PERFECT cake for carving and building 3D cakes as well!
- 8 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 4 C granulated sugar 3 3/4 C for high altitude
- 3 C all-purpose flour 3 1/4 C for high altitude
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1 1/4 tsp for high altitude
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 C HOT water 2 1/4 C water for high altitude
- 10 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 C sour cream OR greek yogurt
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 4 lrg eggs slightly beaten
- 20 oz chocolate chopped
- 1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup stabilizing
- 2 C butter slightly softened
- 1-2 C powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 345
- Prepare three 8 or 9 inch round cake pans (if doing 8 inch pans I suggest 3 inches tall pans, or four of the 2 inch tall 8 inch pans) I use parchment paper circles on the bottom and a non stick spray on the sides
- Melt the baking chocolate in double broiler (or in a bowl over a simmering pot of water) then let it cool.
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a mixer add the sugar, flour, soda and salt and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl (or a large glass measuring cup) mix the hot water and cocoa
- Then add the sour cream and oil and whisk.
- Add the wet mixture in a stream to the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs slowly while beating on low.
- Add the cooled melted chocolate and mix until uniform in color.
- Bake at 345 40-45 mins (raise the heat by 25 degrees and lower the time by 5 mins for high altitude)
- Place the chocolate into a large bowl
in a saucepan heat the cream - until just about to simmer
- Pour it over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 mins - then stir
- Let the ganache cool to room temp
- Beat butter and add 1 C powdered sugar
beat in the corn syrup
- add more if needed to achieve a thick buttercream
- pour the ganache into the buttercream and beat.
- Chill for 5-19 mins n the fridge, beat again, chill, beat, chill, beat - until your happy with the thickness
Here is a sampling of the Cakes I’ve carved that use this chocolate cake recipe!
And it’s time for this month’s Food Holiday – today is National Chocolate Day!!! Seriously could there be a better food holiday to celebrate?
10 new recipes from the Celebrating Food Bloggers
- Perfect Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache Buttercream – HERE
- Perfect Chocolate Cheesecake – Life Made Simple
- Fudgy Double Chocolate Cookies – The Baker Upstairs
- Chocolate Mousse – Creations by Kara
- Vegan Chocolate Waffles – Namely Marly
- Selfish Bars – Foodie with Family
- Brownie Delight – Real Mom Kitchen
- Cocoa Chipotle Spice Rub – Hey Grill Hey
- Fast Fudgy Freezer Brownies – 365 days of slow cooking
- Spanish Hot Chocolate with Coconut Churros – The Noshery
19 of my most Chocolaty Recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- Salted Chocolate Brownie
- Ganache – frosting, truffles and drips
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream
- Hot Fudge Sauce
- Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- Worlds Best Hot Chocolate
- Pain Au Chocolat (chocolate croissant)
- Chocolate Eclairs
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Texas Sheetcake
- Homemade Nutella
- Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Microwave Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate chocolate chip bagel
- Homemade Choco Taco
- Basic Chocolate Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Chocolate brownies
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.