Making Chocolate Molten Lava cakes is super simple and they taste amazing. A rich dessert that everyone loves. Serve it warm fresh from the oven and topped with ice cream for an ooey gooey sweet treat.
I got this recipe from my baby sister, she makes this dessert anytime she has another couple over – as it makes four! Personally I double it and make 8 – refrigerating the final two (since there are 6 of us) and baking them the next day for “lunch” when the kids are in school!
That’s one of the best parts of this dessert – you can totally make it ahead of time – and just leave the filled ramekins in the fridge until your ready to bake (just let them warm up a bit before throwing them into the hot preheated oven)!
AND even better? You can personalize them by adding FILLINGS! So when I make a batch I let each kid pick what they want theirs filled with – Often I just go for the classic, but every once in a while I feel like something different! Peanut butter, Nutella and Caramels are our go-to’s – I’d recommend using a homemade caramel since the kraft don’t really melt in the oven well in just 17 mins.
These chocolate molten lava cakes are super easy to make and taste amazing
- 6 oz Semi Sweet Bakers Chocolate
- 6 oz Butter chopped *and additional butter for ramekins
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C all-purpose flour
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler.
- in another bowl mix the eggs and sugar till it turns slightly whitish.
- Butter four 7 oz ramekins.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted take it off the heat and add the butter and stir till melted together.
- Then add the egg mixture and stir together with a spoon until combined.
- Next add the flour and stir.
- Pour evenly into buttered ramekins. They can be made ahead of time.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 17-20 min. Baking time varies on location and oven so you have to go by look to make sure they come out in a perfect mound without spewing.
- They should be firm an inch all the way around. Then the center gives a slight jiggle.
- Flip over onto a plate, or bowl. Carefully pick up and the cake should come out with ease.
The ice cream is a MUST for me as it’ helps “lighten” the richness of the cake and gooey center. And yes I just said ice cream lightens – you guys I’m a rich, dense, heavy eater – this is about as light as it gets for me – BAHAHAHAHA. Of COURSE I like it with my Hot Fudge – or Caramel sauce – or even my berry coulis!