A few years ago, okay 4 1/2 years ago (where does the time go!!)I got to take a girls weekend with my best friend to NYC to celebrate my 30th birthday! A few weeks later my husband lost his job, so I’m so grateful I went when I did because it’s not going to happen again for a long time! ANYWAY! While we were there we went to Serendipity to try the Frozen Hot Chocolate!
It was served in a giant bowl just like this one, overflowing onto a plate! It was fantastic and I KNEW I could make my own version. SO I went home and played around different variations tweaking my homemade Hot Chocolate. I tried using ice cream, using ice in a blender and using the ice cream maker. I found that the Ice cream maker created the BEST texture, great crystallization, for slushy perfection.
- 1/4 C cocoa
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C water
- 2 C Whole milk
- 1 C cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla (or 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 peppermint or other extract)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add the water, whisk and cook over medium high heat until it boils.
- Let it boil for 1 min then add the milk, cream and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour into a glass container and refrigerate until cool
- Stir it well again and pour it into the ice cream maker and turn it on.
- Leave it until it's the right consistency (about 30 mins I've found)
- Top with whipped cream and serve!
I love create a mint version of this, and even an amaretto version (one of my favorite flavors with chocolate). I think I’m going to try a peanut butter and a coconut version as well. Just switch some of the extract for anything else you want to try. Then I top it with loads of fresh whipped cream and some shaved chocolate to make it pretty! Serve it overflowing onto a plate to be JUST like Serendipity, but it IS a lot, so for my kiddo’s I use smaller containers. Serve it fresh, it won’t freeze quite right.
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!