A delicious recipe for Frozen Hot Chocolate, just like you get at Serendipity in NYC, made in an ice cream machine to create the perfect slushy consistency.
How I created this Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe
When I turned 30 I went to NYC to celebrate with one of my girlfriends! We had a BLAST and ate a ton of food.
While we were there we went to Serendipity to try the Frozen Hot Chocolate and it was AMAZING! It was served in a giant bowl just like this one, overflowing onto a plate and was not only impressive to look at but delicious.
It was fantastic and I KNEW I could make my own version. SO I went home and played around different variations tweaking my homemade Hot Chocolate.
I tried using ice cream, using ice in a blender and using the ice cream maker. I found that the Ice cream maker created the BEST texture, great crystallization, for slushy perfection.
I love to create a mint version of this, and even an amaretto version (one of my favorite flavors with chocolate). I think I’m going to try a peanut butter and a coconut version as well.
Just switch some of the extract for anything else you want to try. Then I top it with loads of fresh whipped cream and some shaved chocolate to make it pretty!
Serve it overflowing onto a plate to be JUST like Serendipity; but it IS a lot, so for my kiddo’s I use smaller containers. Serve it fresh, it won’t freeze quite right.
Just show me how to make Frozen Hot Chocolate already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for frozen hot chocolate, along with links to other chocolate recipes and get straight to this delicious ice cream – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe
-This recipe starts with the base of my Perfect Hot Chocolate – that’s where the flavor is coming from. If you have a favorite hot chocolate recipe you can use that instead.
-I am all about milk in hot chocolate – I don’t ever use water, it’s just not the same, so for my hot chocolate and frozen hot chocolate I always use milk – to add a little thickness to this I substitute some milk for cream and use less that in my normal hot chocolate recipe so the flavor is a little more concentrated.
-you can use JUST milk if you prefer – if you use mostly cream be wary – it will turn into hot chocolate ICE CREAM vs a slushy dessert
-All the recipes I found online for frozen hot chocolate used a blender and ice, but I don’t like to water down my hot chocolate so I prefer to use my ice cream maker
-BUT if you don’t have an ice cream maker you CAN use a blender. Cut the milk and cream in half so you have a more concentrated mixture and add it to the blender with 2-3 cups of ice and blend until slushy
To make this Frozen Hot Chocolate you’ll need
Frozen Hot Chocolate
If you love this frozen hot chocolate ice cream as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love frozen hot chocolate you’ll love these other ice cream recipes!
To watch me make this frozen hot chocolate in an ice cream maker play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you).
Frozen Hot Chocolate recipe
- 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C water
- 2 C Whole milk
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 peppermint or other extract
To make in the ice cream maker
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add the water, whisk and cook over medium high heat until it boils.
- Let it boil for 1 min then add the milk, cream and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour into a glass container and refrigerate until cool
- Stir it well again and pour it into the ice cream maker and turn it on.
- Leave it until it’s the right consistency (about 30 mins I’ve found)
- Top with whipped cream and serve!
To make in a blender
- Follow instructions 1-4 above, BUT cut the milk and cream in half – so it will be a more concentrated hot chocolate mixture
- Pour into a blender along with 3 cups of ice and blend until slushy
- Top with whipped cream and serve again!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020