Rich, creamy and decadent – The ultimate homemade chocolate ice cream recipe. This custard ice cream goes beyond a classic chocolate ice cream and literally is my favorite bite of ice cream ever.
How I created this decadent ganache chocolate ice cream recipe
I remember the best bite of ice cream I ever ate at a chocolate shop, it was amazing and I’ve been trying to recreate it ever since. I’ve tried a ton of different ice cream recipes throughout the years. THIS recipe is perfection! This is seriously AMAZING ice cream. Creamy, rich, indulgent, delicious… oh and did I say RICH?
I love Chocolate. In fact I believe chocolate is its own food group! Probably my main food group honestly… And within that food group my main consumption is Cake, Ganache and Ice Cream. I already have a basic chocolate ice cream recipe, and while it’s a great base for my Smores ice cream, or rocky road ice cream, chocolate peanut butter ice cream and chocolate brownie ice cream – by itself it is kinda plain. THIS creamy chocolate ice cream is made with ganache for a rich stand alone flavor that I seriously couldn’t love more. It doesn’t need ANYthing else… this is Perfection.
This recipe might sound complicated with the egg based custard ice cream as well as the ganache section of the recipe. BUT I promise it’s SUPER easy, I’ve tried so many Ice cream recipes over the years I have some Custard ice cream tips for you!
Just take me to the Best Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks to make custard based homemade chocolate ice cream, and similar Ice Cream recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream Recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips for how to make Chocolate ice cream
I’m all about custard bases for ice creams – it’s a creamer texture vs a more icy texture (time and place for that too, but creamy is my go to.
- If using a freezable ice cream bowl (vs ice) Make sure the ice cream bowl is completely frozen – at LEAST 20 hours before making your ice cream – I have a double bowl ice cream maker and keep both in the freezer at all times so I’m ALWAYS ready to make ice cream!
- when separating egg yolks crack your egg on a flat surface vs an edge – you decrease the risk of a shell puncturing the yolk
- keep the egg whites and make homemade marshmallow fluff or Macarons! I keep my egg whites in tupperware and mark how many egg whites are in the container with a dry erase marker
- hand whisk the egg yolks/eggs and sugar (and in this recipe cocoa) until it’s nice and smooth and ribbony. This recipe will start out chunky because of the cocoa but keep beating and it will be perfect
- Bring the cream/milk JUST to a simmer, watch the edges for little bubbles
- When you simmer the milk keep a close eye on it – don’t get distracted by texting… it’s a MESS to clean up AND you’ll have to remeasure the milk!
- Place a damp paper towel below the egg/sugar mixture to hold it in place so you can whisk and pour the milk in a steady stream and beat without a third arm holding the bowls
- When heating full mixture to thicken stir with a spoon or spatula rather than a whisk to keep it from getting to foamy. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn to the bottom but you can keep a slow and steady stirring vs going crazy and burning out your arm.
- Always strain the warm mixture when adding it to the cream to get rid of any small cooked egg pieces.
- Make sure to chill the mixture ALL the way before running it through your ice cream maker
- for a soft serve texture you can eat it as soon as it’s done – if you want a harder ice cream freeze for 4-6 hours.
To make this Rich Ganache Chocolate Ice Cream you’ll need/want:
- 1 1/5 quart Ice Cream Maker
- Quality Bittersweet Chocolate
- Super cool Ice Cream container
- Awesome ice cream scoop
Rich Ganache Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
If you love this Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream as much as I do, please write a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love this Ganache Chocolate Ice Cream recipe you’ll love these other ice cream recipes!
Connect with Ashlee Marie!
To watch me make this Chocolate Ganache ice cream play this video (if on desktop, it should be autoplaying for you)
Rich, creamy and decadent - The ultimate homemade chocolate ice cream recipe. This custard ice cream goes beyond a classic chocolate ice cream and literally is my favorite bite of ice cream ever.
- 2 1/4 C heavy whipping cream
- 10 oz Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 4 lrg egg yolks
- 1 lrg egg
- 1/3 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Bring the cream to a simmer in a small sauce pan.
- Place the baking chocolate in a metal bowl.
Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 5 mins - tip - cover with plastic wrap to help keep the heat in
Stir it smooth. Set it aside.
In another bowl whip the sugar, eggs and cocoa with a whisk. It will start crumbly and get smoother as you go.
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Slowly pour the milk into the chocolate mixture while beating the mixture.
- Pour the whole thing back into the saucepan and cook over low heat.
- It will start out very foamy, but as you stir the foam will go away and it will thicken slightly.
- Pour through a strainer into the ganache and stir together
stir in the vanilla
Cool in the refrigerator 4 hours or overnight
Run through your ice cream maker according to the directions (it took mine 35 mins).
Pour into a container and freeze 2 -4 hours before serving
adapted from the chocolate truffle ice cream by Bruce Weinstein
National Chocolate Ice Cream Day!
Celebrating Food Blogger new Chocolate Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream – HERE
- Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream – Creations by Kara
- Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches – Crumb
- Chocolate Ice Cream Bread – Savory Experiments
- Strawberry Chocolate Ripple Ice Cream – An Italian in my Kitchen
- Chocolate Ice Cream Cupcakes – Real Mom Kitchen
- Blender Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream – Simply Stacie
- Baileys Chocolate Ice Cream – Super Golden Bakes
More Chocolate Ice cream recipes from me
More Ice Cream Recipes