I adore steak and out of all the ways I’ve cooked and eaten in in my life this sous vide steak is by far the best I’ve ever had! It’s easy to make and the steak is simply perfection
Why I switched to sous vide cooking for my steak
I love steak – like seriously steak and potatoes with a roll… perfect meal IMO. But steak kind be pricey so it’s not something I really made very much…
I would get frustrated trying to cook it so it wasn’t under cooked without overcooking the outside! So I basically never made steak, until I got a sous vide machine!
Now I’m making this all the time (thankfully my kids love steak too!) it’s seriously impossible to mess up! It works really well with any cut of meat too so even cheap cuts will turn out great.
When it’s done cooking it can look a little unappitizing cause it doesn’t have that great sear. So heat up some oil in a pan and quickly sear both sides.
DON’T oversear – you don’t want to over cook the steak and ruin all the good you get from sous vide, so cook at a higher temp and for as short of time as possible.
You can simply sear in oil or like me take the extra step of lathering butter and herbs over yours as you sear it….
Some people like to simply just use a blow torch vs searing the steak in a pan – totally works (and how fun is using a blow torch?).
Just take me to the Sous Vide Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for sous vide cooking, along with links to other easy dinner recipes and get straight to this delicious Steak – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Temperature guide for Sous Vide Steak
|Doneness||Temperature range||Timing Range|
|Rare||120°F (49°C) – 128°F(53°C)||1 – 2 1/2 hours|
|Medium-Rare||129°F (54°C) – 134°F (57°C)||1 to 4 hours|
|Medium||135°F (57°C) – 144°F (62°C)||1 – 4 hours|
|Medium-Well||145°F (63°C) – 155°F (68°C)||1 – 3 1/2 hours|
|Well-Done||156°F (69°C) and up||1 – 3 hours|
I Personally like 130°F for 1 1/2 hours – that’s what I’ve found to be my sweet spot!
For Sous Vide Cooking you’ll need:
- Sous Vide Immersion Circulator (can be used with any container, pot, etc…
- OR Sous Vide Machine (this one is a slow cooker as well – but you are limited by the size)
- optional – plastic sous vide bucket (I just use a large pot)
- sous vide weights
- Food saver and bags
- OR freezer ziplock bags
- cast iron skillet
Sous Vide Steak
If you love easy dinner recipes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love a good steak dinner you’ll love these other Dinner Recipes!
To watch me make this Sous Vide Steak in a live cooking show play the video in the recipe card. There should also be a short teaser auto playing for you.
The Perfect Sous Vide Steak
- 4 Steaks – whatever cut you’d like
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 sprigs Aromatics – Thyme, Rosemary, Garlic anything you like
- Sealable bag I like the strong freezer style
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- fill your sous vide with water and preheat to 130-135 degrees (for medium rare – 120-130 for rare, 135-145 for medium – and don’t bother eating steak medium well or well done 😉 )
- Pat the steak dry
- Season with salt and pepper and add your favorite aromatics
- place in a bag and seal shut, squeezing extra air out
- place in the sous vide and cook between 1 hour and 1 hour 30 mins, you can leave it up to 2 hours, but I don’t recommend it
- heat oil in a skillet (I like cast iron)
- pull the steak out of the sous vide bag and sear in the hot pan on both sides about 45 seconds to a min
- Add some butter and more aromatic and spoon over the meat for extra flavor