My youngest loves Nutella, like LOVES IT, he eats it as a sandwich morning and lunch and when I leave it on the counter he’ll hid it in his room and eat it straight from the jar (his dirty mouth always gives him away). He’d eat it every meal of the day if I let him (some days I admit I do allow it)
We go through huge jars all the time. So I figured it was time to make it myself! Control the sugar, chocolate and salt and keep the preservatives away. It’s super easy, and only takes a bit of time – the longer you grind the nut “butter”, and the stronger your food processor or blender is the smoother the final product will be.
And I HIGHLY suggest roasting your nuts. It will make a huge difference in bringing out the best flavor. If you can find roasted unsalted hazelnuts you can use that instead of toasting them yourself.
Chocolate Hazelnut spread - Homemade Nutella
- 2 C hazelnuts
- 10 oz chocolate milk is traditional, but I used semi sweet
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- spread in a pan and toast the hazelnuts until they're slightly browned and the skin is slightly blistered, 10-15 minutes.
- Place the hazelnuts in a cloth towel and rub vigorously to remove as much of the skins as you can, let cool
- Place the chocolate in a double broiler (in a clean dry metal bowl over a saucepan of boiling water - don't let the bowl touch the water) until melted and smooth, put aside and let cool
- in a food processor (or high powered blender) grind the hazelnuts until they form a nut butter, it will take 6-10 mins depending on the strength of your processor, scraping the sides occationally
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, cocoa and salt and continue to mix until the mixture is as smooth as possible
- add the melted chocolate and blend until smooth
- store in an airtight container at room tempurature for up to 2 weeks
And today is World Nutella day! So along with 12 other AMAZING food bloggers we’re celebrating! We have 13 NEW nutella recipes and 10 bonus posts! This year we’re having even more fun that last year with our #celebratingfood16 posts, with 6 new food bloggers.
NEW Nutella Recipes from Celebrating Food bloggers:
- Homemade Nutella – HERE
- Nutella Puff Pastry – Summer Scraps
- Easy Bacon Nutella Souffle – The Stay At home Chef
- Slow Cooker Nutella Brownie Pudding – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Nutella Cheesecake Bars – Creations by Kara
- Nutella Mousse Cookie Cups – Butter With a Side of Bread
- Nutella Banana Crepes – The Baker Upstairs
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies – Life Made Simple
- Nutella Strawberry Pie – Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Nutella Stuffed Red Velvet Cookies – Like Mother Like Daughter
- Nutells S’mores Bars – Bless this Mess
- Nutella Swirled Skillet Cookie Recipe – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Nutella Buttercream Frosting – Real Mom Kitchen
10 bonus Nutella recipes
- Peanut Butter Nutella Muffins – The Stay At Home Chef
- Coconut Nutella Pudding Cake – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Nutella Cream Puffs – The Baker Upstairs
- Nutella Peanut Butter Cookies – Creations by Kara
- Nutella and Raspberry Fillo Cups – Summer Scraps
- Peanut Butter Nutella Stuffed Cookies – Like Mother Like Daughter
- No-Bake Granola Bars with Nutella Drizzle – Yummy Healthy Easy
- Mini No Bake Nutella Cheesecakes – Real Mom Kitchen
- Nutella Krispy Treats – Jamie Cooks It Up!
- Raspberry Nutella Cheesecake Bars – Life Made Simple
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020