Yup, SERIOUSLY, Marshmallow Ice Cream. And YES it is as AMAZING as it sounds. I love making ice cream and my ice cream maker (best birthday gift EVER) has been getting quite the work out this week! This recipe is a basic vanilla custard ice cream with toasted marshmallows mixed in, easy and tasty. You’ll be SO glad you made it.
This Marshmallow ice cream is great plain, but I’m dying to try it with my Hot Fudge… Or maybe with chilled hot chocolate as a float? Okay, I’m totally inspired and Mmmm, I’m TOTALLY doing that tomorrow! My husband thought it would be terrible and almost refused to try it, but even he was totally won over my this treat!
The flavor all comes from toasting your marshmallows first, we not only want them to get all warm and melty but also a bit toasted. You can do this with a brulee torch one at a time, but it’s much easier to spread them out on a pan (covered in a silpat is best) – not too close to the heating unit, see how I left a blank center because of my gas heating down the center. Bake for a few mins, the broil to get that toasted brown.
Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream Recipe
- 10 oz large marshmallows
- 2/3 C granulated sugar
- 2 lrg eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 2/3 C whole milk
- 1 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- preheat your oven to 350
- Place your marshmallows on a silpat mat or parchment paper on a pan
- Cook marshmallows for 3-4 mins in the middle of the oven
- Move the pan to the top rack, switch the oven to broil for 2-3 mins until browned
- Beat the eggs, sugar and salt until it's smooth, thick and pale yellow (not bright)
- Bring the milk to a simmer in a sauce pan,
- Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture , while mixing the eggs (so they don't cook or curdle)
- Pour back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, don't let the mixture boil or it will cook the eggs
- Stir until it thickens slightly then pour through a strainer into a blender
- Add the marshmallows (it will be messy) and blend together until it's smooth
- Pour through the strainer again into a bowl, add the cream and the vanilla
- Stir well and refrigerate overnight (or 4-6 hours).
- Stir it well then run it through your ice cream machine according to the directions, about 30 mins
- Serve immediately for soft ice cream and freeze a few hours for firmer ice cream.
More Ice Cream Recipes