I love summer – I love having my kids home and I love sleeping in (school drop off kills me daily) AND I love making and enjoying ICE CREAM! This is a creamy homemade coconut ice cream with chunks of crushed pineapple added to it for a sweet pina colada treat!
The crazy thing is – I LOVE coconut and I LOVE pina colada but I’ve never liked pineapple – isn’t that weird? And my kids? half LOVE pineapple, half hate it and ONE doesn’t like coconut – that’s just crazy talk! But they all enjoyed this sweet treat!
I love custard based ice creams – I love the creaminess of them – BUT you could easily make an eggless version of this – using this base ice cream recipe and sub out some of the heavy cream for coconut cream and add the toasted coconut and crushed pineapple at the end!
Mmmmm seriously doesn’t get much better or refreshing! also how fun are these pineapple flowers! I’ve always wanted to give them a try – I’ll do a video and post on them pronto!
Pina Colada Ice Cream Recipe - plus 13 more pina colada recipes
- 1/2 C sweetened coconut
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 lrg eggs
- 1 1/2 C coconut cream
- 1 C whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C crushed pineapple drained
- spread the coconut onto a baking sheet and toast at 350 for 4-7 mins (just until golden, I like to stir after 3 mins
- in a medium bowl whisk the sugar, cornstarch and salt
- add the eggs and beat until light in color and foamy
- in a saucepan heat the coconut cream and milk until just starting to steam/bubble
- pour the hot milk into the eggs in a steady stream while beating (so it doesn't cook and scramble the eggs)
- pour back into the saucepan and heat, stirring constantly until thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon/spatula
- take off the heat and strain
- stir in the vanilla and heavy cream
- refrigerate until chilled
- run through your ice cream maker according to the directions
- scoop half into your ice cream holder/tupperware and sprinkle on half the coconut and pineapple - repeat - then stir as much or as little as you want
- serve right away for a soft ice cream or freeze for a more traditional ice cream, 3-4 hours
AND today happens to be national pina colada day! SO here are some more delicious pina colada recipes for you to try!!
Here are 9 new recipes from the Celebrating Food holiday bloggers!
- Pina Colada Ice Cream – HERE Ashlee Marie
- Tropical Piña Colada Cupcakes – Life Made Simple
- Pina Colada Bread – Creations by Kara
- Pina Colada Cupcakes – The Baker Upstairs
- Vegan Pina Colada Cocktail – Namely Marly
- Pina Colada Tembleque (Pineapple Coconut Pudding) – Foodie with Family
- Pina Colada Pie – Real Mom Kitchen
- Pina Colada Grilled Pineapple – Hey Grill, Hey
- Pina Colada Popsicle’s – Gather for Bread
And a few more of my favorite food bloggers and their fun take on pina coladas!!
- no bake pina colada cheesecakes – Beyond Frosting
- pina colada pancakes – Maebells
- pina colada milkshake – 365 days of baking and more
- pina colada fruit dip – like mother light daughter
- pina colada fluff – mom on timeout
- pina colada cake trifle – inside bru crew life
- pina colada bread pudding – turnadough allie
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020