Add a flavorful side dish to your next dinner with this delicious and easy instant pot coconut rice.
How I created this Coconut Rice Recipe
One of my favorite dinners to make is my Thai Chicken Satay with peanut butter sauce and I’ve tried a few different side dishes over the years and found that this coconut rice is our family favorite.
You can make it in a rice cooker or in the instant pot. I usually use the rice cooker but on a recent RV trip I decided to bring only the instant pot and use it for all our meals and that included using it to make the rice.
I was honestly really pleased with how fast and easy it was! I was nervous that I’d get the burn notification but using the low setting was the key – low and slow – and it worked out great.
Just take me to the Instant Pot Coconut Rice Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for instant pot coconut rice, along with links to other rice recipes and get straight to this delicious coconut rice – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to cook the perfect rice in the instant pot
The first question is always to rinse or not to rinse. I always rinse to get rid of the starch and keep the rice from being sticky. It will also help prevent the burn notification
Next do you soak the rice or not – I do not – I’d rather cook it an extra min than take the time to soak.
The first time I used the instant pot for rice I had it on the “normal” settings – high pressure and “normal”. But I got the burn notification.
The next time I used the “rice” button – which cooks at low pressure. And I still got the burn notification.
So I switched to low pressure and “Low” which keeps the temperature lower and the pressure low. It takes a little longer that way but I love the results!
The rice button on the instant pot is set for white rice, so if you are using a long grain or shot grain rice you need to adjust the time. For this recipe I used basmati or jasmine rice and cook for 8 mins.
Make sure you let the the rice natural pressure release for at least 10 mins, you can let it release all the way but just don’t switch to quick release until at least 10 mins
To make this Instant Pot Coconut Rice you’ll need
- I like this rice rinsing bowl
- Coconut Milk are all different when it comes to fat levels and creaminess – my favorite brands are Gyoa and Chaokoh.
- Electric pressure cooker – I use this 8 quart Instant Pot
Instant Pot Coconut Rice
If you love this instant pot coconut rice as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love this Coconut Rice you’ll love these other instant pot recipes!
To watch me make this Instant Pot Coconut Rice play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you). You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Coconut rice – instant pot
- 4 C basmati or Jasmine rice
- 3 C coconut milk about 2 cans
- 3 C coconut water add extra coconut water if your coconut milk cans were shy of the 3 cups
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 3 limes juiced
- rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice, coconut milk, water, salt and sugar to the instant pot and give it a quick stir.
- Press the rice button or pressure cooker button – adjust to low pressure and low heat and cook for 8 mins.
- Turn off the “keep warm” setting
- Do natural release for 10 mins, then quick release
- Fluff the rice
- Add the cilantro, lime juice and stir together
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020