Teriyaki Chicken is one of the easiest Japanese dishes to make and now it’s even easier with this pressure cooker recipe.
How I created this Instant pot teriyaki chicken
I have always made my teriyaki chicken in the slow cooker. Easy and delicious – but it just takes so long!
I never remember to start dinner early enough to use a slow cooker effectively. I tend to pick dinner about an hour before it’s time to eat so this instant pot version is my new favorite!
It’s super flavorful, fast and oh so easy. Now you can of course make this with chicken breasts but my favorite is to use thighs.
Just take me to the Teriyaki Chicken Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for instant pot teriyaki chicken, along with links to other instant pot recipes and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to use a slurry in an instant pot recipe.
To cook in a pressure cooker you need liquid – and you need that liquid to be runny. BUT I don’t want my teriyaki sauce to be runny – so the solution is to add a slurry at the end.
I prep the slurry when the cook time is finished and during the natural release time. When the release is over (this recipe calls for part natural part quick release) take out the chicken thighs and place on a cutting board.
Add the slurry to the liquid left and give it a stir. Switch the pressure cooker over to saute so the sauce will come to a boil. The sauce will thicken up while you tear apart the chicken!
How long do you cook chicken thighs in the instant pot
- boneless skinless thighs – 8 mins
- bone in thighs (skinless or skin on) – 10 mins
- frozen thighs – 12 mins
To make this Teriyaki Chicken you’ll want:
- Electric pressure cooker – I use this Instant Pot
- Meat claws for tearing up the chicken
- non stick pan for toasting the sesame seeds
- a good rice cooker
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
If you love these instant pot chicken recipes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken you’ll love these other instant pot recipes!
To watch me make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you). You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 8-9 chicken thighs
- ½ C soy sauce
- ¼ C rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 C sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds toasted
- 1 stalk Green onions
- Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, honey and black pepper to the instant pot and stir
- Add the chicken thighs
- Cook on high for 8 minutes if the chicken is thawed – 12 mins for frozen
- Natural pressure release for 10 mins then quick release.
- Stir cold water and corn starch to create a slurry
- Take out chicken and press saute
- Add slurry to sauce and simmer until slightly thick
- Shred the chicken and add it back into the sauce
- Serve over rice and top with sesame seeds and green onions