It doesn’t get easier to make this classic St Patricks day dinner than making corned beef and cabbage in a pressure cooker. Easy and delicious and always a huge hit.
Sooooo is it weird that I honestly had never had corned beef until I made this one this year? No seriously! I know it’s wacky, but my parents weren’t really big on international food and I went straight into asian food – japanese, chinese, indian… and just hadn’t made my way over to ireland yet! SO this year I determined we’d make it. After searching online for the best way to cook it I kept coming back to my newest toy – the instant pot! So two birds with one stone, try a new recipe and use a new toy!
The corned beef came with a spice mix, but you know I prefer to mix my own spices. I searched about 15 different recipes – they all agreed on a few ingredients, bay leaves, pepper, mustard seeds.. but it varied wildly after that. As a garlic loving salt loving gal I went with WAY more garlic that most recipes and instead of the classic “water” I went with beef broth. IF you aren’t super into salty food like me maybe do half and half or all water… the beef broth was PERFECT in my opinion!
Just take me to the Instant pot Corned Beef Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for making this in the instant pot, or links to other instant pot recipes – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips for making corned beef in the instant pot
- add the liquid right away and click saute – it will heat up the liquids while you add the other ingredients and will cut the time it takes to come to pressure
- place the onion and garlic below the beef so you don’t have to use a rack to keep the meat off the bottom
- the cabbage cooks super fast – so keep it on top of the carrots and potatoes, in fact once you add your carrots and potatoes I took out some of the excess liquid so my cabbage would be more steamed them boiled and it still wasn’t enough – next year I’ll take out even more liquid and I think I’ll place a steaming rack on top of an egg rack to keep the cabbage lifted above the liquid
Pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage
If you enjoy corned beef and cabbage as much as I do, consider writing a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
To make this pressure cooker corned beef and cabbage recipe you’ll need:
- pressure cooker– I have the instant pot 8 quart duo plus 9 in 1
- mustard seeds (if using ground double amt)
- peppercorns (if using ground double amt)
- fennel seeds (if using ground double amt)
- coriander seeds (if using ground double amt)
- allspice berries (if using ground double amt)
- better than bullion beef base
If you like Instant pot recipes you’ll love these
Connect with Ashlee Marie!
If you want to see me make this recipe, play the video below (it will autoplay on desktop)
instant pot corned beef and cabbage
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium Onion quartered
- 3.5 lbs corned beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 C beef broth I use better than bullion beef base
- 6 medium potatoes quartered
- 4 lrg carrots cut large
- 1 head cabbage cut into 6-8 wedges
- Place the onion and garlic into the instant pot
- Add the corned beef brisket
- Add the mustard, peppercorns, coriander, allspice, fennel seeds and bay leaves
- Add the beef broth
- Close the instant pot cook on high for 80 mins (70 for 1 ½ inches thick, 80 for 2 ½ inches thick and 90 for 3 ½ inches thick)
- Once it’s done let it manually release presser for 15 mins then quick release. Pull out the beef, place on a plate and cover with foil
- Add the potatoes, carrots and cabbage to the pressure cooker, close and set on high for 3 mins
- Quick release and serve immediately.