This Instant pot Jambalaya with Chicken, sausage, Shrimp, Rice and Vegetables makes a flavorful New Orleans style meal. Jambalaya is super easy to cook in a pressure cooker and doesn’t take very much time. The Instant pot does a great job of melding the spice and flavors together quickly.
How I created this Chicken Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya recipe
So year ago when I was learning how to cook I bought a McCormick’s Jambalaya stove top spice mix – and fell in love with jambalaya.
But of course I prefer making it more from scratch and I love making it easier if possible. So I started making rice cooker Jambalaya!
When I got my Instant pot last year I thought – this would actually be just as easy but WAY faster for making this dinner that I love!
And I was right – just as delicious and seriously so quick! We’ve made this Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya like 3 times since this first time. It’s a new favorite now!
Just take me to the Pressure cooker Jambalaya Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for instant pot jambalaya, along with links to other instant pot recipes and other Creole and Cajun recipes and go straight to this delicious Chicken Jambalaya – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Pressure Cooker Jambalaya
– You want to brown the meat – I only browned the chicken because when I browned the sausage the first time I made it I got the burn notification – if you want to brown the sausage as part of the recipe make sure to deglaze the pot really good when you add the broth
– I’ve seen a lot of recipes where after browning the meat they take it out to add the veggies and other ingredients – but I personally hate taking food out and in a lot in cooking – so I leave it – just don’t over brown or cook the chicken. If you feel your chicken is dry of course you can take out the browned meat then add it again before closing up the instant pot.
– The holy trinity in cajun and creole cooking is onion, bell pepper and celery – Personally I don’t love celery so I often leave it out but then people get upset with me when I do – so it’s up to you if you use them all or not.
– Creole seasoning – you can swap it out for Cajun seasoning if you don’t have creole seasoning.
– Spicy level – you can leave out the cayenne pepper if you don’t like hot food – personally we love spice so it’s a great addition we love
– I use medium grain rice as that’s what I always have around (japanese rice) but most people use long grain rice – – you can use more liquid when using longer grains
– Shrimp cooks really quickly and easily so you actually don’t need to cook them. Once you do the quick release and open the pot add the shrimp and then close the lid and let it sit for 10 mins – the residual heat will cook the shrimp. I was wary the first time I tried it but it worked perfectly!
To make this Chicken Jambalaya you’ll need
- Electric Pressure Cooker – I have the Instant pot 8 quart
- nonstick inner pot
- Creole seasoning
- Andouille Sausage is the classic but my kids found it a little overwhelming and liked a plain smoked pork sausage better
- Peeled and deveined Shrimp – I like to buy them all ready to go but you can do it yourself,
Instant Pot Jambalaya Recipe
If you love this Shrimp and Sausage Jambalaya as much as we do, please leave a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love your Instant Pot you’ll love these other recipes!
If you love Creole and Cajun recipes you’ll love these other easy recipes!
To watch me make this instant pot Chicken and sausage Jambalaya play this video (if on desktop, it should be autoplaying for you)
Instant Pot Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya with Shrimp
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Chicken Breasts cubed
- 1/2 C butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2-3 ribs celery diced
- 13 oz Andouille or pork sausage thinly sliced
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 C rice
- 2 C Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 14 oz Stewed Tomatoes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
- add the oil and chicken to the instant pot and click “saute” – cook until browned
- add the butter, onion, green pepper and celery – stir and cook
- add the sausage and garlic and stir
- add 1/2 C of the broth and deglaze the pan really good
- Add the rest of the chicken broth, rice, seasonings and stewed tomatoes – stir
- place the bay leaves on top and close the instant pot
- pressure cook on high for 7 mins
- do quick release and open the instant pot
- add the shrimp and close the instant pot again – let the residual heat cook the shrimp for 10 mins
- open, take out the bay leaves, stir and serve
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020