An easy to make decadent coconut macaroon tart crust filled with a soft homemade caramel and topped with a dark chocolate ganache
Last year I made the most amazing pistachio cheesecake with a coconut macaroon crust and it was amazing! I knew I had to use the coconut macaroon crust again.
When we decided to celebrate National Macaroon Day this year I figured now was my chance. I debated what filling to do this time (of COURSE I’m going to use it again with more fillings) but ooey gooey caramel filling was just too good not to use.
This caramel and chocolate filling would also be amazing with a crunchy shortbread crust to balance the softness of the filling. But for now I will say the coconut macaroon crust is just delicious.
Tips for making a coconut macaroon crust
- use finely shredded coconut – so you don’t get stringy coconut as you bite
- don’t use sweetened coconut – to control the sweet level
- if you only have classic grocery store sweetened coconut shred it finely in a food processor and use less sugar in the crust.
- use a parchment circle in the bottom of the tart pan and make sure to use some non stick baking spray on the outer edges to make sure the tart comes out of the pan easily
- use dried beans to weigh down the crust during the blind bake – they are cheaper than buying expensive pie weights
- when you take out the beans to finish the blind bake don’t forget to cover the edge of the crust with some foil since it will be very dark but you want to crisp up the center of the crust
How to make a Coconut Macaroon Crust filled with Soft Caramel and topped with dark Chocolate Ganache
If you love tart recipe as much as I do, please write a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love decadent Caramel Recipes you’ll love these desserts
Caramel Brownies | Caramel Sauce | Caramel Marshmallows
Soft Caramels | Caramel Popcorn Ball | Caramel Cheesecake
Connect with Ashlee Marie!
chocolate caramel tart with coconut macaroon crust
Coconut Macaroon Crust
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Lrg egg whites
Soft Caramel Layer
- 1/3 C butter
- 1/3 lbs light brown sugar packed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 C light corn syrup
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 5 oz dark chocolate wafers
Coconut Macaroon Crust
- preheat the overn to 375
- whisk the sugar, flour and coconut
- add the egg whites and whisk until blended
- press into the bottom of a 9 inch tart pan and up the sides
- use foil to hold the macaroon dough into place and fill with pie weights (or dried beans)
- bake for 9 mins and then pull out the foil and weights
- bake another 9 mins until the crust is done cooking - and slightly golden
- let cool
Soft Caramel Layer
- In a large saucepan dissolve the brown sugar and salt in the butter over medium heat.
- Add the Karo syrup and mix
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk in and stir.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat until it hits 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer (remember candy temperatures are listed as sea level degree's so adjust according to your altitude - for example I lower all temperatures by 20 degrees F because I live so high up)
- Add the vanilla and stir
- Pour into the tart crust and let it set
- place chocolate in a small bowl
- bring the cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate
- cover the bowl with plastic (to help hold the heat) and let sit for 5 mins
- Stir together until smooth
- pour over the caramel and let set
And now it’s time to celebrate National Macaroon day recipe roundup – 15 Macaroon recipes
Nine new macaroon recipes from the Celebrating Food Bloggers
- Chocolate Caramel coconut macaroon tart – HERE
- Macaroon Kiss Cookies – Creations by Kara
- Chocolate Coconut Macaroons – Pretty Providence
- Almond Coconut Macaroons – Savory Experiments
- Easy Coconut Macaroons – Real Mom Kitchen
- Gluten-free Macaroons – Namely Marly
- Coconut Macaroon Brownies – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- Lemon Coconut Macaroon Cookies – Simply Stacie
- Pineapple Coconut Macaroon Cookie Bars – Heather Likes Food
More recipes with Coconut Macaroons
More Macaroon recipes from amazing food bloggers
- Strawberry coconut macaroons – Sally’s baking addiction
- Salted Caramel coconut macaroons – Life Love and Sugar
- Shortbread Macaroon Bars – Crumb Kitchen
- Cashew Coconut Macaroon – Will Cook for Smiles
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
Oh my! This is almost too pretty to eat. I swoon over anything chocolate or caramel.
agreed, caramel is always something special!