Love Unicorn Food? These Galaxy crepes are super easy to make with an easy crepe recipe and the galaxy colors are so visually pretty! Then top it all off with this delicious Golden Glitter Buttermilk syrup.
How I created these Galaxy Unicorn themed crepes and the Glitter syrup
Two years ago was my oldest 16th birthday. I let my kids decide each year if they want presents or a party, and my oldest usually pick presents – books, books and art supplies. BUT for her Sweet 16 I decided for her – she needed a party.
So together we decided on the theme, galaxy unicorn, once you pick a theme everything else falls into place. As usual we started with the plan for the cake, click here to see the Galaxy Unicorn Cake and the video cake decorating tutorial!
Then comes planning the food. She wanted something that was more meal, vs just treats and her favorite food is crepes so when she requested that I started brainstorming what I could do. At first I started with a plan of making all the components a different color. One color for crepes, filling (fruit is red), whipped cream, syrup, etc.. and it just felt a little clownish.
And all the other food in the party was going to be more swirled vs blocked so I decided that wasn’t the best way to go so I kept thinking about it. Then I got inspired by looking at some of the Galaxy mirror cake tutorials and thought… I could do that with the crepes!!! AND IT WORKED!!!!
Seriously they turned out just so pretty… but I wasn’t done yet! Do any of you get sucked into Facebook videos? I was going down the rabbit hole of crazy food videos and I came across GLITTER BEER!!! WHAAAAAA I mean I don’t drink but how GORGEOUS. So I googled how they make it…
They use edible luster dust just like I do with cake decorating! I have a ton of that stuff! So I took my crazy delicious buttermilk syrup recipe and added some gold luster dust and BAM! I wish the pictures and video did this glitter syrup justice… It is seriously gorgeous in person!
Just take me to the Galaxy Unicorn Crepe Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for these homemade crepes and buttermilk syrup, along with links to other unicorn food and or breakfast recipes and get straight to this delicious Galaxy themed crepes – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect homemade crepes and buttermilk syrup
– Let the batter settle, after you mix them in the blender the batter is liquidy but it’s also full of bubbles. I refrigerate mine for about an hour.
– work with a hot pan, but not too hot – you want the crepe to start to cook right away but you don’t want it to cook faster than you can work with it. If your waiting too long to flip then turn the heat up a little – if you keep falling behind and feel frazzled then turn the heat down.
– swirl or spread the batter right away. Because the pan is hot it starts to cook right away and you want the crepe to be thin so get that spread out fast
– make sure the batter is thin enough. If my crepe isn’t swirling and spreading enough I add some milk (a little at a time) and try again.
– crepes can actually keep for quite awhile so you can pre-make all of these components and just set them out before the party. You want to let the crepes cool COMPLETELY before stacking so they don’t stick together. Then I put the stack into a gallon size bag (to keep them flat) and keep them in the fridge until I’m ready.
– when your making the syrup be sure to use a larger pan because once you add the baking soda the syrup reacts and grows (then shrinks again) and you do NOT want to deal with cleaning up sticky syrup from the stove or counter
– the syrup is a little foamy at first so let it settle (with a spoon not a whisk) before adding the glitter or serving.
To make these Unicorn Food, Galaxy themed crepes and glitter syrup you’ll need
- large blender
- gel food dye – I used Fuchsia, navy, turquoise and violet
- large flat pan or crepe pan
- large saucepan
- super gold luster dust
Galaxy Crepes with Glitter Buttermilk Syrup Recipe
If you love these crepes and buttermilk syrup as much as we do, please leave a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love these Galaxy Unicorn Crepes you’ll love these other Party foods!
To watch me make these Galaxy crepes with glitter buttermilk syrup play the full video in the recipe card
Galaxy crepes with golden glittery buttermilk syrup recipe and video
- 3 C whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 gel food colors fuchsia, navy, violet and turquoise
Tart cream cheese filling
- 16 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2/3 C full fat sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
golden glitter buttermilk syrup
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 grams super gold luster dust
- Put everything into a blender and mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate the batter for an hour to let the bubbles settle and the batter with thicken a bit.
- Divide the batter into 4 bowls and dye each bowl a different color
- Add even amounts of each color to a ¼ cup measuring cup (about 1 Tbsp each)
- heat a large flat skillet on med high and once it's hot pour the batter into the center of the pan then QUICKLY tilt the pan in a circle so the batter spreads to cover the bottom.
- I cook it for about 40 seconds on each side, the batter will go from shiny to dull and you’ll see small bubbles develop. Use a spatula to loosen the edge and flip the crepe. The time will depends on how hot your pan is.
- Turn the lower to slow it down a little, or higher to cook a little faster
- serve right away, or let the crepes cool, stack, refrigerate and serve the next day!
Tart cream cheese filling
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth
- add everything else and beat smooth again!
- Keep extra refrigerated and it will last a few more days!
Golden glitter Buttermilk syrup
- Combine the buttermilk, butter, sugar and syrup in a LARGE sauce pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat and boil for 5 mins, stirring constantly.
- Remove it from the heat and continue stirring and add the vanilla and baking soda (the mixture will get HUGE when you add the soda, just keep stirring and it will go back down).
- Add the gold luster dust and stir together
- serve warm, keep refrigerated.
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020