A full tutorial for making your own Angry Birds Sugar cookies – these triangle sugar cookies are perfect for making the angry bird Chuck into a cookie for an angry birds birthday party.
If you’ve followed me for any time at all you know I love making cute sugar cookies for themed parties, they are easy to personalize to any theme, and taste great! The kids love them.
When deciding which bird got to be what food the shape of the birds played a big part. The triangle shape of Chuck didn’t lend itself to a ton of options, but was perfect for cookies! And who doesn’t have a triangle shapped cookie cutter??? oh right, me… I used a house shaped cookie cuter I had and cut the roof off! You can find my recipe for sugar cookies and the frosting.
So after they were all baked and cooled I made the frosting. To get black I add some dark cocoa powder to the frosting and then add black powder food dye. Also I work in VERY small batches for the black(this is a half batch and I had a TON left over), you don’t need a lot since we’re just piping the outlines. notice I offset the triangle outline a bit, that’s to leave room for the hair and tail tufts! (I used a tip 5)
Once that was dry I added the beak shape and eye shape, leaving the eye’s open as Chuck doesn’t have black eyebrows! Also no pupil, yet. Once your done with the black there will be more left, we want to use it again, but we don’t want it to dry out, so wrap a damp paper towel around the tip, and place it in a ziplock back to keep it from drying out.
An even smaller batch of the frosting in red, (actually I had leftover red candy melts after diping all of the “Red’s oreo pops” so I used that, but it was a MAJOR pain, it would be too runny, or too hard, I don’t recommend it) pipe on some thick red eyebrows! I used another tip 5 and just squeezed more, but a larger tip would work too.
Now make another batch of the frosting, this time thinned out (thinning directions on the airplane cookie post) and fill in the eyes, and create a soft tummy.
And now dye the rest of the batch yellow and color flow fill in the rest of the triangle (leaving only the beak left)
Dye the rest of the thinned icing orange (just add some red to the yellow) and fill in the beaks! Take the black you had to the side, squeeze out a bit (it will be wetter near the tip where you had the damp paper towel) and then pipe on little dots for the eyes! Voila, your done! These take a bit longer because of the dry time, but they are always a hit and make a great impression!
Chuck - Angry Birds Cookies Tutorial
- 6 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C Butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 C full fat sour cream
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp extract peppermint or almond
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sift flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and powder in a bowl.
- In separate bowl cream the butter and sugar (use cookie paddles or dough hook this will get thick)
- Add the egg and beat again
- then add the vanilla and sour cream and beat it smooth
- Mix in dry ingredients and beat smooth - it will be thick.
- wrap up in wax paper or parchment paper and chill in fridge for 3-4 hours
- preheat oven to 350
- roll out to 1/4 inch and cut triangles
- bake for 8-10 mins, until the edges get a slight golden color to them (don't over bake) let cool
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and peppermint in your mixer.
- it will be thick at first - great for spreading
- thin with milk to get a "toothpaste" thickness good for piping - great for outlining cookies
- thin more to create a icing you can fill in "color flow' style for a smooth finish. The perfect thinness is when stop stirring the icing and count to 10 it gets smooth.
- dye 1/4 portion of the thick icing black, and a very small portion red - thin the rest
- You'll want mostly yellow, but a small bit of orange and white too
- pipe all the face details with the black - except the eyebrows - use the red. Filli all the spaces on the cookie with the other colors
- add little black pupils once the white has dried
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Fortune Cookie Recipe – Video Tutorial - January 22, 2020
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020