This Creamy and Flavorful tomato soup is a quick and easy pressure cooker recipe perfect for a fast and easy weeknight dinner.
How I created this Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
A few weeks ago I shared this Creamy Tomato soup recipe that I make on the stove. It’s perfection in every way.
I have always loved tomato soup – I always order it when we go out to eat and it’s an option. I like it thick, creamy and decadent. You can easily make it thinner if you want but this soup is practically perfect in every way in my opinion.
Any this summer I took the kid on a road trip and decided to bring the instant pot along thinking it would be a great way to make a few of the dishes quickly and easily.
The original recipe was already easy, and being able to make it without turning on the stove and being able to totally walk away and come back to soup was fantastic. Fast and delicious!
This is a quick and easy last min dinner because I always have the ingredients around, so great for those busy week night meals. And easy enough that my 16 yo can make it! You can serve it with these easy grilled cheese croutons or of course serve with full grilled cheese sandwiches.
Just take me to the Creamy Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for this tomato soup recipe, along with links to other soups and get straight to this delicious homemade tomato soup – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How long does tomato soup last in the fridge?
Officially the answer is 3-4 days. But personally, since it doesn’t contain any meat I reheat and enjoy this soup for a full week. I’m not sure why all soups have a 3-4 day rule – I use that when I put chicken or beef in the soup but not for meatless dishes.
How to make tomato soup creamy?
I tried a few different ingredients when playing around with soup recipes and both cream and milk actually didn’t do much IMO, I felt they actually “watered” this soup down a bit so when my sister suggested cream cheese I was wary but it was the perfect addition IMO! But feel free to play around and find that ingredient you want, some people think this soup is too thick!
Can this tomato soup be frozen?
So because of the cream cheese in the soup it will be trickier to freeze, mostly because freezing anything with dairy causes some issues when reheating.
If you want to make a large batch of this soup and reheat smaller portions of later I’d divide the soup into the size you want for reheating BEFORE adding that cream cheese at the end.- then when you reheat the soup blend in the cream cheese fresh.
To make this Homemade Tomato Soup you’ll need
Creamy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
If you love this tomato soup recipe as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Instant Pot Tomato Soup you’ll love these other Soup Recipes!
To watch me make this Homemade Tomato Soup play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you).
Creamy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- 4 Tbsp sun-dried tomato oil or olive oil
- 2 onion chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/3 C sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 56 oz crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz chicken broth
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese
- pour the sun dried tomato oil, onions and garlic into the instant pot and press "saute"
- Cook until the onions are translucent
- Add the broth and deglaze the inner pan really good to avoid getting a burn notification (I also use the non stick inner liner)
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes.
- Stir and close the instant pot
- Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 mins then quick release
- Add cream cheese and use a hand blender to blend the soup
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste and serve
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020
- Dense and Creamy Cheesecake Recipe - December 14, 2019