I love soup – obviously – but it’s so hard to narrow down a favorite – I seriously make soup at LEAST once a week, but THIS – cheddar broccoli soup – will ALWAYS be a go to. I judge all soup and sandwich places by their broccoli cheese soup. If they don’t have a good one I never go again. I mean seriously – it’s such an easy soup that if they can’t make a good one nothing else is worth trying IMO.
Now some people are purists and JUST want a thick cheddar soup with broccoli – but I like to add potatoes, onions and carrots – I love the added texture of the grated potatoes in the soup – and to be fair too much plain cheddar soup is BORING, so the other veggies bring a texture and flavor I adore. Now I like the potatoes and carrots grated – I like it better than chunks in this one soup – BUT I like to grate them BIG, not little grates (I use this shredder but use whatever you have)
As for the cheddar – you CAN add other cheeses too – but I AM a purist in this case – I’m all cheddar all the way. I usually stick with mild, but of course a good sharp is always a great way to go too. Also consider that higher quality cheese will melt better – which will end with a better texture – nothing worse than the cheese sauce breaking down. The best thing to do is let the soup cool for 5-8 mins before adding the cheddar to ensure it melts well.
Top with more cheddar and serve! Oooey Gooey goodness! It seriously doesn’t get much better than this soup. Serve with your favorite bread. A homemade white bread, or sometimes cornbread. Or of course a great sandwich (yummmm, I love sandwiches too).
One Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe and Video
- 3/4 C butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic diced or pressed
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 C chicken broth veggie broth works too
- 2 C half n half
- 3 C milk
- 4-5 large potatoes grated
- 2 large Carrots grated
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs Broccoli florets about 5-6 heads
- 3-4 C grated Cheddar Cheese
- Add the butter, chopped onions and garlic to a large pot and saute over medium heat
- add the flour, salt and pepper and cook the flour until it becomes a tan roux
- add the broth, half and half and milk - stir until smooth
- add the grated potatoes, carrots and broccoli florets - bring to a boil over medium high heat
- simmer until the broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally
- turn heat to low and add the grated cheddar, 1 cup at a time, stir until melted
- add more salt and pepper as preferred
- serve in a bread bowl if you can find one and enjoy!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020