This homemade mushroom soup is absolutely amazing, better than any canned soup with fresh thyme and shallots – it’s easy to make and the flavor is amazing.
I’ve never really cared for canned soups, I use them in casserole recipes I grew up with, but never EVER just open a can and heat up soup. I’m also not a huge fan of mushrooms, it’s a texture thing, but I love the flavor of mushrooms, so 6 years ago, when this blog was brand new, I decided to experiment. Seeing if I could make a substitute for Cream of mushroom soup I could use in recipes.
I love love LOVE this soup, but it isn’t a substitute for cream of mushroom. It’s not quite thick enough, and it’s a bit too delicate for casseroles. BUT by itself it tastes AMAZING. In fact a few years ago I tried out a new local restaurant, La Jolla Groves, and DIED over this mushroom soup they have as a starter. Then I remembered this recipe! I hadn’t made it in years, so I pulled it out again and was thrilled. It was just as good as I remembered.
Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe
- 2 lbs white mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 C heavy whipping cream
- 3 C chicken stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- In a food processor coarsely chop mushrooms and lemon juice.
- Melt butter in sauce pan and lightly saute shallots on med heat.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf. Saute over low/med heat for 10-15 mins, until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.
- Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- At this stage I like to take a few cups of the soup at a time and run it through my blender to smooth it out a bit, but it's optional.
- Add dissolved cornstarch and simmer another 10 mins
- Stirring constantly, add more seasonings and lemon juice to taste.
- Top with some olive oil, fresh thyme and or paprika (mostly to add color, it's not a pretty soup)
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020