This homemade mushroom soup is absolutely amazing, better than any canned soup with fresh thyme and shallots – it’s easy to make and the flavor is amazing.
I’ve never really cared for canned soups, I use them in casserole recipes I grew up with, but never EVER just open a can and heat up soup. I’m also not a huge fan of mushrooms, it’s a texture thing, but I love the flavor of mushrooms, so 6 years ago, when this blog was brand new, I decided to experiment. Seeing if I could make a substitute for Cream of mushroom soup I could use in recipes.
I love love LOVE this soup, but it isn’t a substitute for cream of mushroom. It’s not quite thick enough, and it’s a bit too delicate for casseroles. BUT by itself it tastes AMAZING. In fact a few years ago I tried out a new local restaurant, La Jolla Groves, and DIED over this mushroom soup they have as a starter. Then I remembered this recipe! I hadn’t made it in years, so I pulled it out again and was thrilled. It was just as good as I remembered.
Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe
- 2 lbs white mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 C heavy whipping cream
- 3 C chicken stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- In a food processor coarsely chop mushrooms and lemon juice.
- Melt butter in sauce pan and lightly saute shallots on med heat.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf. Saute over low/med heat for 10-15 mins, until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.
- Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- At this stage I like to take a few cups of the soup at a time and run it through my blender to smooth it out a bit, but it's optional.
- Add dissolved cornstarch and simmer another 10 mins
- Stirring constantly, add more seasonings and lemon juice to taste.
- Top with some olive oil, fresh thyme and or paprika (mostly to add color, it's not a pretty soup)
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
This is the BEST cream of mushroom soup I’ve ever had. I did thicken it with a bit more flour than the recipe called for as I like a thicker cream of mushroom soup, but other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing. Definitely making this again and again.
Thanks! I agree, I love this soup! I’m so glad you tried it and liked it! I like it a tad bit thicker too!