I love caramel, but not all caramels are created equal. My sister made these for me a few years ago (she makes them for neighbor gifts every year) and I about died. Seriously the best, most buttery caramels I’ve ever eaten in my life. So after a few years of just enjoying her’s I decided to ask for the recipe and make them myself.
I wish a picture really captured how soft and smooth these caramels are. I will say, you HAVE to make sure your candy thermometer is working, that you know how to adjust the temp for your elevation AND that you don’t just use a candy thermometer – do the ice water test as well!
Back in the day before I knew what I was doing I cooked caramel and other candies all the way to 240 at the high elevation in Utah and my batches would come out rock hard, Took me awhile to figure it out! Now I’m a candy making crazy person!
- 1 1/2 C butter
- 1 1/2 lbs packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large saucepan dissolve the brown sugar and salt in the butter over medium heat.
- Add the Karo syrup and mix
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk in and stir.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat until it hits 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer (remember candy temperatures are listed as sea level degree's so adjust according to your altitude - for example I lower all temperatures by 20 degrees F because I live so high up)
- Add the vanilla and stir
- Cut with a knife also sprayed with baking spray
these are soft and sticky so I toss them in the fridge for 30 mins or freezer for 10 to harden them up so they are less messy to cut. I switched to the water bottle trays after my sister recommended them – SO EASY! Just make sure you spray them well – the first time I went to light and they were a pain to get out. Or if you use a pan then use very sharp knife and coat it with baking spray, then cut them into long caramel tubes and wrap them in wax paper!
What’s your favorite Christmas treats or goodies to make every year? One of my favorites for neighbor gifts is caramel popcorn balls! Everyone loves them and they are super easy to make!
Neighbor gifts and goodie plate recipes
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.