This recipe is one of my all time favorites. I don’t love fruits but I do love berries. I’ve made it with strawberries, blackberries or raspberries and a mix of all three. I think the strawberries alone are a little too… something, sweet maybe? It ends up tasting just like a fruit roll up, maybe that’s why I don’t love just the strawberry.
My favorite is a mix of berries, at least 2, but all three is amazing as well. The zest is the secret to really making the flavor in this coulis pop! If you want just one berry I suggest the blackberry, it has a really great flavor. But I’m an Oregon girl so I love Blackberries, used to go pick them in the back yard!
The first time I made it was for this Flourless Chocolate cake and it was AMAZING! My husband thinks the cake is a bit heavy (craziness) and wanted something lighter than more heavy cream on top (I like it with ice cream or fresh whipped cream).
I didn’t think I would like it, and I don’t usually like fruits with chocolate. But it was AMAZING, seriously I love it. It creates the perfect balance or dark chocolate and sweet, but not too sweet, sauce!
AND my very favorite recipe to have this sauce on is my coconut panna cotta. SERIOUSLY, one of my all time favorites. I’ll share that recipe with you next week!
And for you breakfast lovers I think most fruit syrups are too thick and sweet for me, but I love this Coulis on pancakes, waffles and more! What berries are your favorite that you’d make this out of?
Easy Coulis recipe - dessert berry sauce
- 12 oz berries I like raspberries, strawberries and blackberries or a mix
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- 1/4 C water
- In a medium-sized sauce pot over medium heat, combine the berries, orange zest, water, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and puree with a blender.
- Strain (to get the seeds out) into a jar and serve.
- Refrigerate the extra.
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020