I love going to the mall and getting sweet cinnamon and sugar pretzels (probably the only thing I like about the mall these days). An of course sweet pretzels are best dipped in sweet cream cheese frosting, so to make it easier to dip I make pretzel sticks instead of the traditional knot shape.
This soft pretzel recipe is actually amazing as traditional pretzels, wrapped around a hot dog or mixed/topped with a ton of other flavors. But you know me, I love sweets so this is my go to version.
- 1 C whole milk warmed
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1/4 C butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C powdered sugar
- In your mixer add the yeast, sugar and the milk, let sit for 5 mins
- Add the salt and oil and mix
- Add the flour, 1 C at a time and mix
- Now knead it with the dough hook until the dough is quite smooth and springy -- about 5
- If the dough seems too dry or moist as you're kneading it, add a tiny bit more warm milk or flour as needed.
- Oil a bowl and place the dough inside, cover it with a towl, and let rise in a warm place until it's more or less doubled in size, about an hour.
- roll out the dough and cut into strips
- twist the strips and set on parchment paper, let rise for 30 mins
- heat the oven to 475 F
- in a wide pot, bring 12 cups of water to a boil
- add 1/4 cup baking soda.
- Drop 3 or 4 pretzels at a time into the boiling water, boil for 1 minute, then fish them with a slotted spoon or skimmer and lay them on the baking sheet (on parchment paper or silpat mats).
- bake them for around 12 minutes, they should be deeply golden and dry to the touch when they're done.
- let cool a bit then dip the sticks in melted butter, shake off the excess
- dip in a sugar cinnamon mixture, serve with frosting
- beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla
- slowly add the powdered sugar until it's the thickness you want.
Apple Pie Stuffed Pretzel Bites with Caramel Dipping Sauce from Lauren at From Gate to Plate
Bacon and Egg Breakfast Pretzels from Cindy at Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
Beer Pretzel Bread Bowls from Susan at Love from the Kitchen
Caramel Apple Pretzels from Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
Cheese Stuffed Soft Pretzels from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
Chili Cheese Pretzel Bites from Ashley at The Recipe Rebel
Cinnamon Raisin Soft Pretzels from Heather at girlichef
Easy Bacon Cheddar Pretzels from Heidi at Heidi’s Wanderings
Hopped Up Pretzel Bites with Beer-Gouda Dip from Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Marble Chocolate Dipped Pretzels from Marissa at Rae Gun Ramblings
Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Bites from Emily at It Bakes Me Happy
Pretzel Rolls with Caramel Dipping Sauce from Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
Soft Pumpkin Pretzels from Alexis at We Like to Learn as We Go
Sourdough Pretzels from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
Spicy Cheddar and Jalapeno Pretzel Bites from Kimberly at Rhubarb and Honey
Sun Dried Tomatoes and Cheese Soft Pretzels from Rachael from Eazy Peazy MealzAshlee Marie by Email