An amazing soft pretzel recipe that can make traditional pretzels or these cinnamon and sugar pretzels, with a cream cheese dip.
How I created this Soft Pretzels Recipe
When I was younger I used to go to the mall (does anyone still go to the mall these days?) and getting sweet cinnamon and sugar pretzels was always the best thing at the food court. I still get one at the airport occasionally!
I like all pretzels but of course the cinnamon and sugar version with cream cheese dip is always my favorite. You can make traditional pretzel knot shapes, bites, or these sticks (I like the sticks for easy dipping).
This soft pretzel recipe is actually amazing as traditional salted pretzels, wrapped around a hot dog, or topped with a ton of other flavors (pepperoni with pizza dipping sauce anyone?). But you know me, I love sweets so this is my go to version.
Just take me to the Soft Pretzels Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for soft pretzels, along with links to other delicious snacks and get straight to this delicious cinnamon and sugar pretzel – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Soft Pretzel
– Getting the dough right is the most important part – don’t add too much flour, and don’t under knead.
– Rise time – don’t just go by time, 1 hour, go by size, it might take more time depending on the temperature of your house to double.
– The boiling, don’t skip this step. This effects the outer crust of the pretzels. You can bake them without it, but it won’t really be a pretzel.
– Don’t forget the egg wash – this will give the crust a little shine and a beautiful golden color.
To make this Pretzel Recipe you’ll need
- a Mixer – I like the Bosch universal mixer for everything, esp breads)
- Dough hook
- Pizza cutter
- Parchment Paper
- Silpat mats
- cookie sheets
- Boiling water
- Slotted spoon
Cinnamon and Sugar Soft Pretzel Recipe
If you love these pretzels as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Pretzels you’ll love these other recipes!
Donuts | Deep-Fried Mac and Cheese | Baked Donuts
Instant Pot Egg Bites | Cheese and Sausage Kolache | Hummus
Soft Pretzel recipe – Cinnamon and Sugar sticks
soft pretzel recipe
- 1 1/2 C whole milk warmed 112 degrees
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 4 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 12 C water
- 1/2 C baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 1 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
cream cheese frosting
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1/4 C butter softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C powdered sugar
soft pretzel recipe
- In your mixer add the yeast, sugar and the milk, let bloom for 5-10 mins
- Add the salt and oil and mix
- Add 2 C flour and mix until smooth
- add 1/2 C at a time only adding until the dough cleans the bowl as it mixes. Don't add it all if you don't need it all
- Now knead it with the dough hook until the dough is quite smooth and springy and stretches without ripping
- Oil a bowl and place the dough inside, cover it with a towel, and let rise in a warm place until it's more or less doubled in size, about an hour.
- roll out the dough and cut into strips
- twist the strips and set on parchment paper, let it get poofy – about 10 mins
- preheat the oven to 425 F
- in a wide pot, bring the water to a boil and add the baking soda
- Drop 3 or 4 pretzels at a time into the boiling water, boil for 30 seconds, then fish them with a slotted spoon or skimmer and lay them on the baking sheet (on parchment paper or silpat mats).
- mix the egg and water together and brush over the pretzels
- bake them for around 12 minutes, they should be deeply golden and dry to the touch when they're done.
- mix the sugar and cinnamon together
- roll in the melted butter then the cinnamon sugar
cream cheese dip
- beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla
- slowly add the powdered sugar until it's the thickness you want. Add a Tbsp of milk if the dip is too thick
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
You are so smart, Ashlee! Your sticks are indeed the perfect shape for dipping. And they look marvelous!
thank you so much! I need to make them again, I over cooked this batch a bit and I really love my pretzels super soft. But dipping is the best way to get as much of the delicious frosting as I can
Heather // girlichef
Oh, I’ve never tried dipping my pretzels in cream cheese frosting before – tha sounds amazing! Love these sticks, they’re just perfect for dipping.
I dip pretty much anything I can in frosting! Frosting is a food group for me
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm
wow, they are like pretzel churros…My mouth is watering!
Mmmm churro’s, now I’m hungry
Cindys Recipes and Writings
I love treats like these, so good!
hard to go wrong with baked treats, esp with frosting involved!
These look lip smacking good! Pinned!
Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm, so good
I need that cream cheese frosting in my life!
Mmmmm everyone needs cream cheese frosting, all the time