I admit it – I never really enjoyed hummus, it’s one of those things I’d just buy if someone wanted some – but then my kids fell in LOVE with hummus and started eating it ALL THE TIME! Rather than buy random hummus here and there I figured I’d better learn to make it since it’s so so so SO much cheaper to make AND super easy so my kids can make it themselves – I ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand so easy peasy
The CRAZY thing is I adore 90% of the the ingredients in hummus – I mean it’s full of good stuff – garlic, lemon juice, beans, served on pita bread… I can’t figure out why I don’t love it but at least this version is more tolerable than store bought. Maybe if I spiced it up with something?
Either way my kids LOVE it so we make it a lot. Here is a live video I made with 8 pot luck recipes, perfect for a game day party. Dips, meatballs and of course this hummus!
This is one of those recipes that’s better after the flavors sit awhile, but my family rarely wait that long to dig in. It’s a GREAT dish to bring to pot lucks, parties or game day celebrations (like the SUPER BOWL). I personally like it best with fresh pita bread, but my family will eat it on anything and everything, bread, chips, veggies, etc…
- 30 oz can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 Cup tahini
- 1/2 Cup lemon juice
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp + salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley optional
- Drain beans, but retain 1/2 C liquid and set aside with a few extra beans for topping
- In a blender or food processor puree tahini with lemon juice, it should whip up nice and smooth
- Add the olive oil, garlic, paprika, cumin and salt and puree
- Add 1/2 the beans and puree
- add the other 1/2 of the beans and puree
- add the reserved bean liquid 1 Tbsp at a time until your happy with the consistency - you probably won't use it all
- Optional - add some parsley and pulse
- Refrigerate 2 hours
- top with whole beans, parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika, serve with pita bread, chips, veggies or anything else you love!
Today I did a video collaboration on YouTube with “The Melea Show”, a local blogger and friend of mine! I shared with her three of my easiest game day recipes here (hummus, Chili’s copycat queso and puppy chow)
and she came over to my channel and shared her 7 layer dip!
SOOO do you like hummus? What are your favorite Dips?
[riview showtitle=always tags=dip size=150x150 lightbox=0]