I’m a little donut obsessed. Ever since last summer, enjoying hot fresh donuts from Duck Donuts changed me from enjoying donuts to LOVING donuts. Last summer I made raised, fried donuts and used that recipe for some filled donuts (S’mores and Maple Bacon). BUT sometimes I want something less heavy, baked instead of fried, BUT not cake donuts either. SO here they are, yeast based BAKED donuts! You can use this recipe for the filled donuts as well!
After baking these you can roll them in cinnamon and sugar or cover them in glaze, just like fried donuts. They are totally versatile and everyone loves them. I think my kids loved them even MORE than they liked the fried version! Personally there is a time and a place for both… I still love fried anything…
- 1 C whole milk warmed
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- proof the yeast in the milk with the 1 tsp sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add the milk/yeast, the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Switch to a dough hook and add 2 cups of the flour and mix, then add 1/4 C of flour at a
- time until the dough gathers around the hook and cleans the side of the bowl. don't add
- too much flour
- Turn out and knead, place in an oiled bowl and let rise 1 hour
- Roll out about 1/2 inch thick and cut into 3 inch rounds with 1 inch holes, place on
- baking sheet and let rise 20 mins, about doubled in size
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Bake 5-8 mins and turn out into cinnamon and sugar or add glaze
The dough is easy peasy. I couldn’t find my donut cutter so I used what I had, which was a fluted round cutter set, hey whatever works, right? BUT I highly suggest getting a good donut cutter.
Don’t forget… the double in size part is more important than the time (and my tip for how to keep track of the dough size).
And there you have it! Deliciousness that everyone loves! We made these for my 14 yo birthday breakfast (HOW do I already have a 14 yo? CRAZY), she was in love and has been begging to make them again!
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email