This lemon and herb, garlic baked salmon recipe is flaky and delicious. Easy to prep and bake.
How I created this Lemon Herb Baked Salmon Recipe
We love salmon, my kids could finish off an entire 15 lbs filet themselves! We have a few different ways we like to cook it, but this lemon herb salmon is far and away our favorite! Do you have a favorite way to make salmon?
The trick to all fish is not to over cook it. There are a few different rules people use. 10 mins for each inch (so a 2 inch thick filet will cook for 20 mins) or 15 mins per lbs (so 30 mins for 2 lbs).
If you use a thermometer than the goal is to hit 145 degrees. Since your baking the salmon wrapped in foil and it will continue to bake a little when you take it out cook to 140.
The filets we get at Costco are a bit harder because the tail is so much thinner. Usually I cook it long enough to cook the tail, put it out for the kids, then throw it in for a bit longer and save the thicker side for my husband and I!
We like to serve ours with my parmesan rice, but there are tons of sides that are great with fish! Roasted potatoes are already great too, Do you have a favorite side with Salmon you like to serve?
Just take me to the Lemon Herb Salmon Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for baked salmon, along with links to other savory recipes and get straight to this delicious lemon salmon – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Bake the Perfect Lemon Salmon
– If you buy a salmon with the skin on bake with the skin down, and you don’t butter the skin side. You can eat the skin, or easily eat around it.
– When prepping the salmon make sure to check for bones, then pat the salmon dry.
– Adding the butter can be hard to do evenly. Don’t worry too much about it, just try to spread it out as evenly as possible.
Why bake salmon in foil
Foil holds in the moisture so the salmon bakes evenly. It results in moist flaky fish easy to make. It also incubates the fish so the flavor infuses throughout all the flaky layers.
You can also use a large sheet or parchment paper instead. It doesn’t hold the heat in quite as much but the concept is the same.
Also the foil helps with easy clean up! So that’s a bonus! If you use parchment instead the oil from the butter tends to get all over the pan.
Lemon Herb Baked Salmon
If you love these baked salmon recipes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Lemon Salmon you’ll love these other savory recipes!
To watch me make this Lemon Herb Salmon in a cooking show play the video in the recipe card. There should also be a short teaser auto playing for you.
Lemon Herb Salmon Recipe
- 2 lbs fresh salmon filet
- 6 lemons sliced
- 6 tbsp butter softened
- 2 tsp garlic crushed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp ground celery seed
- preheat your oven to 350.
- mix the garlic, salt, pepper, herbs and butter together.
- lay down foil on a cookie sheet, and place half the sliced lemons on top.
- Clean the salmon in cold water, pat dry with a paper towel. rub the butter mixture all over both sides.
- Place the salmon on the lemons, then cover it with the rest of the lemons.
- Seal the foil together, adding more foil if you need to.
- bake for 10 mins for each inch (so a 2 inch thick filet will cook for 20 mins) or 15 mins per lbs (so 30 mins for 2 lbs). The goal is to hit 145 degrees for cooked salmon – I pull it out at 140 and it will continue to cook a little once you pull it out.