This copycat penne rustica recipe from Macaroni Grill is my kids absolute favorite dinner – A creamy, cheesy sauce with fresh herbs and spices has a definite kick. This chicken penne pasta is easy to make and tastes amazing.
So this is a total twist (as in it’s missing a bunch of stuff – shrimp and smoked pancetta) on penne rustica from macaroni grill.
It’s a spicy creamy sauce over mini penne and sauteed chicken! Mmmm It’s one of my kids absolute favorites, when they smell me cooking it, they come RUNNING!
I make a double batch of the sauce, then put aside half so we can have it again a few days layer with fresh chicken and pasta (but way less work!)
I also LOVE fresh herbs, Rosemary is one of my favorites and fresh rosemary makes ALL the difference. I like to make this dinner with my Rosemary Bread Recipe.
I don’t bake it after mixing it (to get a crisp top) because I feel it dries it out too much, but feel free to put it in a cute dish, sprinkle more Parmesan on top and broil it a few mins before serving!
You can use chicken broth instead of the “better than bullion” but I prefer being able to control my own chicken stock flavor, and I’ve never had a chicken broth that had as good of a flavor as the better than bullion has!
If you love Pasta you’ll love these other recipes!
Connect with Ashlee Marie!
To watch me make this chicken penne pasta the video should be auto playing – if not press play in the recipe card. You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
This copycat Penne Rustica from Macaroni Grill is one of my kids all time favorite dinners. It has a little kick, and is cheesy deliciousness
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp cooking wine
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 C grated fresh parmesan
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 tsp better than boullion - chicken
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 lbs penne pasta cooked al dente and drained I like the mini penne
- 2 chicken breast sautéed and sliced I cube it for my kids
- Melt butter in sauce pan, add garlic and sweat for 5 mins.
- Add wine cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the next 10 ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Simmer 10 mins until thick.
- Stir in the pasta, meat and sauce top with more parmesan and serve!
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email