I’ve established that I love love LOVE spicy food. Cajun is always a favorite, we already have Jambalaya and Gumbo. Last week I shared my Cajun Salmon, it’s SUPER spicy and I wanted a rice to go with it, but not plain and not as spicy as Jambalaya, so I went with a mildly spiced cajun rice and DANG it turned out so good!
AND it’s easy, I made it in my rice cooker, but you can also make it over the stove. Personally the rice cooker is easy BUT time consuming so if your running close on time go with the stove method. This uses the vegetable trinity and a dash of spices! Cook the whole thing in broth and seriously DELICIOUS.
Cajun Rice recipe
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 C onion chopped
- 1/2 C bell pepper diced
- 1/4 C celery diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1-1/2 C long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 C chicken broth
- Place the butter and veggies in the rice cooker and press cook
- After about 10 mins the butter will be melted and the onions will start to turn opaque.
- add everything else, stir and restart the rice cooker, it will take a little longer than a normal batch
- When the timer goes off stir the rice, close the lid and let it sit another 10 mins
- Melt the butter over the stove and saute the vegetables.
- Cook until the onions are opaque.
- Add everything else, stir and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16 to 18 minutes (check at 16 and see, it could take up to 20)
And that’s it! It’s a great side for any spicy dish but obviously blacked Cajun Salmon or chicken or shrimp is great OR add sausage to it for an easy sausage and rice dish.
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
Ashlee this recipe was fantastic! I just added thyme and chili powder for an extra kick! 🙂 So good thank you for sharing. Makes good leftovers too!
oh DANG that sounds good!
Mmm Delicious! As a single person, I cook a lot of entire meals in the rice cooker. Can’t wait to try this!
I love love LOVE making dinner in my rice cooker (I use it way more than my slow cooker)
This is as very good! Thank you for the recipe!
you are so welcome, glad you enjoy it
WOW! Next time with yellow and red bell peppers for color and a little more Creole seasoning for pop. Wonderful dish for two old people with a new rice cooker. Thanks!
your right the extra color would be great! enjoy!