I’ve established that I love love LOVE spicy food. Cajun is always a favorite, we already have Jambalaya and Gumbo. Last week I shared my Cajun Salmon, it’s SUPER spicy and I wanted a rice to go with it, but not plain and not as spicy as Jambalaya, so I went with a mildly spiced cajun rice and DANG it turned out so good!
AND it’s easy, I made it in my rice cooker, but you can also make it over the stove. Personally the rice cooker is easy BUT time consuming so if your running close on time go with the stove method. This uses the vegetable trinity and a dash of spices! Cook the whole thing in broth and seriously DELICIOUS.
Cajun Rice recipePrint Pin Rate
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 C of chopped onion
- 1/2 C of chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 C of chopped celery
- 1 tsp of minced garlic
- 1-1/2 C of long grain rice uncooked
- 1/2 tsp of Cajun or Creole seasoning
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 C of chicken broth
- Place the butter and veggies in the rice cooker and press cook
- After about 10 mins the butter will be melted and the onions will start to turn opaque.
- add everything else, stir and restart the rice cooker, it will take a little longer than a normal batch
- When the timer goes off stir the rice, close the lid and let it sit another 10 mins
- Melt the butter over the stove and saute the vegetables.
- Cook until the onions are opaque.
- Add everything else, stir and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16 to 18 minutes (check at 16 and see, it could take up to 20)
And that’s it! It’s a great side for any spicy dish but obviously blacked Cajun Salmon or chicken or shrimp is great OR add sausage to it for an easy sausage and rice dish.
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020