We love cookies at our house, and cookie sandwiches are like every child’s favorite thing, right? My kiddo’s love Oreo’s, and so do I, but as truffle balls, not just by themselves. BUT this homemade version? Chocolaty, sweet and with cream cheese filling instead of lard? Mmmm right up my ally.
So I thought Homemade Oreo’s would fit the bill. Crunchy (I’m going through a crunching craving phrase right now!), chocolaty, not overly sweet, perfect for snacking on. And since they have a cream cheese center (instead of LARD) they are much better tasting for my adult taste buds!
- 2 ½ C Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 C plus 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 C (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2-2 ½ C powdered sugar
- Sift flour and baking soda together, set aside.
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 min.
- Add the eggs and water ad beat on medium speed until blended, about 20 sec.
- Add melted chocolate and mix until blended, about 5 sec.
- Add flour mixture and mix on low speed for 15 sec.
- Scoop rounded tsp of batter on greased cookie sheets (or parchment paper).
- Using the bottom of a glass press each cookie.
- Bake at 350 until firm to the touch, about 15 min.
- Cool them completely on wire racks.
- Beat cheese, butter and vanilla until blended.
- Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread a rounded tsp of filling on the bottom of half the cookies. Then top with the remaining cookies. Allow them to set for 2-3 hours in the refrigerators.
These are VERY crunchy the first day, but after sitting with the cream cheese in them they soften up quite a bit. SO if you like crunchy wait to frost them until you serve them, I’ll keep a few cookies and a little frosting aside just for me. But if you like the softer side then frost them, leave them overnight and enjoy the next day. I like them cold, straight out of the fridge, it keeps the frosting a little stiff and they are so good!Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!