These Chocolate covered Shortbread Marshmallow Cookies are fun, easy, and taste amazing. Walkers Vanilla shortbread is the perfect sweet crunchy base for these cookies.
This is a sponsored post but all opinions are 100% my own.
How I created this Marshmallow shortbread recipe
I grew up on Walkers Shortbread! All Walkers Shortbread cookies are made in Scotland using the original recipe created over 120 years ago. It’s a family owned business dedicated to baking the World’s Finest Shortbread and other delicious treats as well.
They were and are my mom’s favorite and so when they approached me about creating recipes using these sweet treats I jumped at the chance. The day I got a box full of their Vanilla Shortbread in the mail was seriously the best day ever!
They also sent me this adorable 3D Mini Lemon Shortbread Bunny Carton filled with Easter egg-shaped lemon shortbread – perfect for my kids Easter baskets this year! Honestly I plan on making lemon marshmallow to top these lemon shortbread’s with and dip in lemon white chocolate!!!
Anyway back to the recipe – I thought these oval shaped Vanilla Shortbreads, which are flecked with real vanilla and smell as good as they taste, would be the perfect base for a vanilla bean marshmallow and then covered in chocolate.
AND I was right – they are divine!
Just take me to the Marshmallow Shortbread Cookies Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for Homemade Marshmallow cookies, along with links to other Marshmallow recipes and get straight to this delicious Marshmallow Shortbread – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Homemade Vanilla Shortbread Marshmallow Cookies
– Test your candy thermometer – water boils at sea level at 212 degrees – and candy thermometers and recipes are written for sea level – so using your candy thermometer boil water and take note of what temperature it boils at – for me it was 193 degrees, so a 19 degree difference.
– Adjust the temperature goal for the recipe – this calls for softball stage, 240 – so I adjust by 19 degrees so my goal is to hit 221 degrees.
– Flavoring – you can add any flavor you want, to compliment the vanilla shortbread I use vanilla bean paste, but any extract will work.
– The first option is to use a 9×13 pan of cornstarch and press the shortbread into the cornstarch to make a mold – pour the marshmallow into the mold then place the cookie on top – let set and cover with chocolate
– the second is to pipe the marshmallow onto the shortbread. I use an open star tip to create a similar shape to the cookies. for this you need to let the marshmallow cool a little and start to set. I let the mixture sit about 5 mins, and beat again then test if it holds it’s shape – if it doesn’t repeat the 5 min/beat wait
– You can melt the chocolate in a double broiler or microwave. I found that the chocolate wasn’t thin enough at this point so I add shortening to thin the chocolate down enough to pour easily and create a thin coating vs a thick coating
– Let the chocolate cool slightly, so it’s warm to the touch but not hot, so it’s not too hot to melt the marshmallow as you coat the cookies.
To make these homemade Marshmallow topped Shortbread cookies you’ll need
- Medium sized sauce pan
- Gelatin powder
- Candy thermometer
- Walkers Vanilla Shortbread
- Open star piping tip and piping bag
- Mixer (stand mixer or hand mixer)
- Quality chocolate (not chocolate chips they aren’t made to melt) dark, semi-sweet or white
Vanilla Marshmallow Shortbread Cookies
If you love these Marshmallow topped Vanilla Shortbread Cookies as much as we do, let me know with a 5-star review and be sure to share on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love homemade Marshmallows you’ll love these other sweet recipes!
To watch me make these Chocolate covered Marshmallow topped vanilla shortbread cookies play this video (if on desktop, it should be autoplaying for you). You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Vanilla Bean Marshmallow Shortbread Cookies
- Soak the gelatin in the 1/3 of a cup of cold water in a small bowl and set aside to swell for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan dissolve the sugar in the 1 1/2 C of water over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the swollen gelatin and dissolve.
- Raise the temperature and bring to a boil.
- Boil steadily until it hits the softball stage, 240 degrees (adjust for your altitude), about 15 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl, or mixer and add the vanilla bean paste and beat the mixture until very thick and white.
- lay out the shortbread and pipe the marshmallows onto the shortbread
- let set - this doesn't take long - and you don't want them to dry out. When they are tacky but not moving when you touch them you'll want to cover them
- melt the chocolate and add the shortening to thin the chocolate (this will also cool them down a little so the chocolate doesn't melt the marshmallow)
- place the shortbread on a cooling rack over a baking pan
- pour the chocolate over the marshmallow and shortbread cookies until completely coated
- take the cookies off the cooling rack and let set on parchment paper
Walkers Shortbread has a range of other sweet treats I promise you’ll love AND they have fun seasonal boxes and containers! You can find them on social media here:
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020