Easy to make, easy to eat! Monkey Bread is quite the treat. Especially when it’s hot chocolate flavored and then stuffed with more chocolate!
How I created this Stuffed Hot Chocolate Monkey Bread Recipe
Bread and caramel sauce – does it get any better? So of course I adore monkey bread. It’s one of my favorites.
About 11 years ago I was at an event where they served hot chocolate monkey bread and I was obsessed! I had to create my own version.
Funny enough this was one of the first recipes on the blog back when I started it. I’m finally getting around to updating the pictures and adding a video!
First the stuffing – I stuffed each dough ball with marshmallows and chocolate chips. Now the marshmallows melt away during baking but they still leave a sweet marshmallow flavoring in the center.
Roll the dough balls in melted butter then a hot chocolate sugar mixture – this is the beginning of the hot chocolate flavor.
Then make the Hot Chocolate Caramel sauce! Butter, sugar and cream – with the addition of the hot chocolate mix for added hot chocolate flavor!
Just take me to the Stuffed Hot Chocolate Monkey Bread Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for monkey bread, along with links to other chocolate recipes and get straight to this delicious hot chocolate monkey bread – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Stuffed Monkey Bread
– This is STUFFED monkey bread, so pick your favorite chocolate for the filling. I used dark chocolate chips, but if you like milk or semi sweet go for it!
– Make sure not to over stretch the dough when filling. The marshmallows will disappear during baking, but leave a sweet marshmallow flavor.
– You can wet the edges of the dough with a bit of water when creating the balls to help seal them.
– If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can use a few bread pans. You will have to cook it a little longer to make sure the bread in the middle is fully cooked.
– Cover with foil for the last 10 mins of baking so they don’t over brown. Invert on a plate and serve!
To make this Monkey Bread you’ll need
- A good mixer with a dough hook. I like my bosch universal mixer
- 12 cup Bundt Cake Pan
- non stick baking spray – I like Bakers Joy
- a good hot chocolate mix – any brand you like will work
Stuffed Hot Chocolate Monkey Bread
If you love this monkey bread as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Stuffed Monkey Bread you’ll love these other chocolate recipes!
To watch me make this Stuffed Hot Chocolate Monkey Bread play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you).
Stuffed Hot Chocolate Monkey Bread
- 3/4 C warm water around 112 degrees
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 C evaporated milk
- 1/2 C melted butter
- 1/2 C sugar
- 5+ C bread flour
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 C chocolate chunks something that melts well – I like trader joes chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 C mini marshmallows
- 1/2 C butter melted
- 1/2 C packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 C hot chocolate mix
Hot Chocolate caramel sauce
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C hot chocolate mix
- 1/3 C whipping cream
- In your mixer add the yeast, 1 tsp sugar and the warm water – let it sit for 10 mins to proof
- add the melted butter, the rest of the sugar and evaporated milk and stir until all incorporated.
- add 2 C of the bread flour and mix until smooth
- while mixing add 1/2 C of the flour at a time, letting the flour mix in completely each time. Beat until the mixture starts to clean the bowl
- keep beating until the dough can be pulled and stretched without being sticky and without ripping.
- place the dough in an oiled bowl, and make sure the dough is totally covered in oil. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled in size.
- while the dough is rising prepare the other ingredients
- mix the hot chocolate mixture and sugar and set aside
Hot Chocolate Caramel Sauce
- in a small saucepan melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil
- add the hot chocolate mix and stir until smooth
- add the heavy whipping cream and stir until smooth
- Preheat the oven to 350
- spray your bundt pan with non stick baking spray
- knock down the dough and divide into 1 inch balls
- flatten each ball, add a few marshmallows and chocolate chips and pinch closed sealing the balls
- roll the balls in the melted butter and then in the cocoa/sugar mixture
- place half the balls into your bundt pan, sprinkle extra chocolate chips and marshmallows in the pan, along with 1/3 of the caramel sauce
- add the rest of the balls and the rest of the caramel sauce
- Bake for 40-50 mins – cover the monkey bread with foil after 30 mins to keep it from getting to browned
- invert the budnt pan onto a large plate, unmold, serve and enjoy!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020