These chocolate chip muffins are easy to make and taste amazing. A great crunch on the outside with a soft fluffy inside and loads of chocolate chips!
How I created this Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
School is about to start for my 5 kids yet again and this year even earlier than ever before. We are NOT morning people so I’ve been looking for some make ahead options for breakfast.
My kids adore muffins, so it seemed like a good route to go. Chocolate chip muffins are an easy one that we all agree on. We also like almond poppy seed muffins (I use this poppy seed Texas sheet cake for muffins).
It took a few rounds to get these muffins just right. Light and fluffy with a lite crunch on the outside and an amazing flavor!
I tweaked the recipe so much from the original. I added a little bit of spice, figured out the right texture of the final batter and oven times!
Just take me to the Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for muffins, along with links to other bread recipes and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make Homemade Muffins
– The biggest tip I can give you is to not over mix the batter! If you use a mixer don’t use it for the final mix, pull out a spoon or spatula and barely mix. It should still have lumps and ribbons of the dry flour when you scoop the batter into the pan.
– Add extra Chocolate chips to the top of the muffin batter before baking if you want chocolate chips on the top of the muffins, otherwise they get buried in the batter.
– I also like to add some coarse sugar to the top for an added sweet crunch to the muffins.
– Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 5 mins, then lower the temp to 350 and bake the rest of the time, 12-15 mins. You can bake them the whole time at 350 if you want, but I like the crunch the 5 min at a higher heat gives them.
– Use muffin liners if you want, or use a really good non stick spray like Bakers Joy.
To make these Chocolate Chip Muffins you’ll need
- Mixer – like my beloved Bosch
- Muffin tin – I use this large 24 cups pan but two 12 cups pans work
- Some kind of non stick spray – I like Bakers Joy
- Large cookie scoop for batter
- Coarse Turbinado Sugar or coarse Sugar Crystals
Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you love these muffin recipes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Homemade Muffins you’ll love these other bread recipes!
To watch me make these Chocolate Chip Muffins play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you). You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Chocolate chip muffins
- 1 C butter softened
- 2 C sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ C sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 C flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 C milk
- 3 C chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Beat the butter and sugar until creamy
- Add the eggs and beat
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients
- Mix ½ the dry ingredients into the butter mixture
- Add the milk and beat
- Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients by hand – be careful not to over mix – the batter should be lumpy and have some flour streaks still.
- Fold in 2 1/2 C of the chocolate chips
- Scoop into muffin tins
- press then last 1/2 C chocolate chips into the tops of the muffins and for extra crunch sprinkle coarse turbinado sugar (or sugar crystals) on the top too
- Bake at 375 for 5 mins then lower the oven to 350 and finish baking, 12-15 mins
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020