Whether it’s for a princess party or a Halloween one, (or both!) these candy apples are the perfect treat!
How I created this Candy Apple Recipe
Coming up with a party food for Snow White was easy, apples. But do I do sliced apples with my fruit dip? That’s not very sinister… So I decided to try something new! Toffee apples AKA Candied apples. Add a little (or a lot) of black food dye and you have a pretty awesome visual!
I had some bubbles in my sugar coating, from stirring the dye in and not keeping it on the heat (so I had to work quickly) but I kind of like the way the bubbles made it look!
You can get rid of the bubbles by not stirring so much (keeping it on low heat helps so you don’t have to work quite so fast, you can let the bubbles settle) and taking a brulee torch to the bubbles, before the candy sets, to bring the bubble to the surface and pop it (or so I’ve been told, I obviously didn’t do that)
Just take me to the Toffee Apple Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for Candy Apples, along with links to other Halloween treats and get straight to this delicious toffee apple recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
To make these Candy Apples you’ll need
- Sauce pan
- Candy thermometer
- Black gel food dye
- Cinnamon candy flavoring (or another flavor)
- Silpat mat (or parchment paper)
‘Poisoned’ Toffee Apples
If you love these candy apples as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Candy Apples you’ll love these other Halloween treats!
If you love Snow White’s Candy Apples you’ll love these other Princess treats!
To watch me make these toffee apples play the video in the recipe card. You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Toffee Apple recipe
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 2/3 C water
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 3 drops cinnamon candy flavoring optional
- Black gel food dye
- combine water, sugar, syrup in a saucepan over med heat
- when the sugar has dissolved turn heat up, and simmer
- Heat to hard crack stage 310°F (I turn it to low when it hits 300°)
- Turn the heat to low (take off the heat awhile if you need to)
- stir in flavoring and add black gel
- dip the apples, letting the excess drip off for just a bit
- place onto a pan with a silpat mat or parchment paper
- let cool 1 hour
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020