Based on the Copycat Levain bakery thick fat cookies this Christmas cookie is made with a chocolate cookie base, chocolate chips, white chocolate peppermint chips AND crushed candy cane for crunch!
How I created this Christmas Cookie Recipe
I adore my Levain bakery copycat Chocolate Chip pecan cookie recipe and have been baking them weekly recently. But for the Holidays I wanted to make a more Christmas-y version.
For our Church Christmas party last weekend I decided to go for a Chocolate version of the cookies filled with peppermint chunks! I used Andes peppermint crunch baking chips and Ghirardelli peppermint baking chips and they were delicious.
For this final version I decided I wanted a bit more chocolate flavor and some crunch. SO in the final cookies so I added some semi sweet chocolate chunks and some crushed candy canes!
Just take me to the Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for double chocolate chip cookies, along with links to other big fat cookies and Christmas cookie recipes and get straight to these delicious chocolate peppermint cookies – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect Big Fat cookie
- By making these cookies so large (3.10 – 3.15 oz each) the outside will be crunchy and the inside will be slightly doughy still – if you want them baked all the way through make the cookies smaller
- I like to use Trader Joes chocolate chips because they melt so beautifully and stay melted longer vs going hard again right away.
- You want to let these cookies set before eating, not just cool – kinda like how you let a cheesecake set before enjoying – the center will continue to cook as they set and cool completely – I like them best after about an hour, but some like them best after just 15 mins when they are still a little warm and raw-ish
- You can make your own cake flour if you haven’t been able to find any (or if you just want to save money – I have a recipe for cake flour here
- Make sure to use a kitchen scale, not just a large cookie scoop – and don’t roll the balls, break them in half and leave them rough to get more texture in the final cookie
To make these Chocolate Peppermint Christmas Cookies I used:
- A good mixer – this is a thick dough! – I use my bosch with dough hooks
- Trader Joe’s chocolate chunks (for that nice melted chocolate chunks)
- Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- Ghirardelli peppermint baking chunks
- Crushed candy canes
Peppermint Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you love these Christmas cookies as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes or use the hashtag #makesomeawesome! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies you’ll love these other Christmas cookie recipes!
To watch me make this Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookie in a live cooking show play the video in the recipe card.
Thick Fat Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 2 cups butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2/3 cups dark cocoa
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups ghirardelli peppermint baking chunks
- 1 cup andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- beat the butter until creamy (I start with whisks to get it super creamy)
- add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy
- add the eggs and vanilla and beat until just incorporated
- add the cake flour and cocoa and beat together
- switch to the dough hook – it get's thick. Add the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, beat until totally incorporated
- add the chocolate chunks, peppermint chunks and crushed candy canes and pulse until mixed together, if you mixer struggles then fold together by hand
- scoop out 3 – 3.1 oz of dough at a time, Keep the dough balls rough
- Bake for 9 mins, the cookie edges will become golden (for subsequent batches if you bake on the warm pan cook for less time.
- let cool at least 15 mins – Closer to an hour and the center will be set
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020