It’s that time of the year…. when peppermint recipes abound! YUP the magical time between Thanksgiving and Christmas! Now I enjoy Peppermint year round, but something about this time of year really brings it to the forefront of everyone dessert recipes! These white chocolate peppermint Macarons are not only delicious but PRETTY too! Hard to go wrong with pretty food!
Now when I say “mint” I mean peppermint 99.99% of the time. A few years ago I ordered a mint oreo milkshake from a local burger joint. when it came I took a sip and was met with the most disgusting flavor ever…. SPEARMENT Oreo shake – I mean how WRONG is that?!?!?! Needless to say I returned the shake and ordered the CORRECT mint… Ever since then I specify “peppermint” when ordering a milkshake…
Tips for the Perfect Macaron Recipe
- WEIGH your ingredients rather than measure – Kitchen scales are cheap and easy to use
- Age your egg whites – 3 days room tempurature is perfect!
- use dried egg whites, NOT meringue powder
- grease free bowl – copper, metal or glass – not plastic
- don’t over mix the batter – once it’s together stop
- use parchment paper – not silpat mats
- let the cookies rest for 45-60 mins after piping before baking
- Use an oven thermometer – these cookies are sensitive!
- wait 3 days to eat them so they can emulsify
White Chocolate Peppermint Macaron recipe and video
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 16 oz white chocolate
- 3 drops peppermint candy oil
- Print your template and place in pans (2-3) under parchment paper - OR draw 1 1/2 inch circles on the underside of your parchment paper.
- Stir the sugar and egg white powder into a small bowl.
- In another bowl sift together the almond meal and powdered sugar at least twice.
- In a copper or grease free bowl add the cream of tarter to your egg whites, beat them on low speed until foamy (with a hand mixer or by hand - not a big machine mixer).
- Slowly add the sugar/egg white powder mixture as you beat the eggs.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat until almost stiff egg whites, still glossy, but more firm that soft peaks.
- Gently fold in 1/3rd of the almond mixture.
- Once its combined, add another third of the almond mixture, fold, and so on.
- Paint some of the red dye into the inside of the piping bag and frosting tip (I used a 1A) - I did three stripes
- Add your batter to the piping bag
- Pipe into the smaller circle they will spread to the larger circle.
- Pick up the pan with both hands, and holding it level, tap it firmly onto the counter several times. This will bring up any air bubbles in the cookies for you to pop (with a toothpick)
- Let the cookies rest between 45-60 minutes
- This is a great time to make the ganache - in a small pot bring the cream to a simmer
- add the flavored oil and stir
- pour the cream over the chocolate, let it sit for 5 mins
- stir it until it's smooth (if it's still chunky you can melt it over a double broiler)
- Let it cool, it will thicken so it can be pipped
Back to Cookie Shells
- Pre-heat your oven to as close to 290°F as possible, a little over is better than a little under.
- Bake the cookies for 16-18 minutes. One sheet at a time.
- Let the shells cool, then pop off the parchment paper
- LIGHTLY brush some of the syrup to the bottom of the shells
- Pipe the ganache onto half of the shells
- Twist the other half of the cookies onto the ganache to create the sandwiches
- Refrigerate the cookies and let them maturate, 1-3 days
- Bring to room temperature then enjoy
So last week Baby Boy said he didn’t like peppermint- um WHOSE KID IS HE??? what the what? anyway I figured he was just being 5… so when, a few days later he asked for a candy cane I opened one for him… HE SPIT IT OUT! and threw it away! Apparently he REALLY doesn’t like it! I was blown away!
And now… It’s time for even MORE Peppermint recipes! Here are 10 more for you peppermint lovers that you have GOT to try! Seriously how amazing do these all look – are you in the Holiday Spirit now??? I sure am!
- Peppermint Macarons – HERE
- Homemade Andes Mints – Ashlee Marie
- Strawberry Candy Cane Mousse – Mom Endeavors
- Peppermint Cheesecake Jars – See Vanessa Craft
- Candy Cane Almond Bark – A Night Owl Blog
- peppermint hot chocolate – Spaceships & Laserbeams
- Peppermint Oreo Truffles – Two Twenty One
- Peppermint Brownie Truffles – Happiness is Homemade
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate Fudge – Printable Crush
- Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Sugar Cookies – The Idea Room
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020