Don’t miss this Halloween ebook – 18 family friendly spooky recipes for you to enjoy, perfect for a fun Halloween party
So episode 3 is over, PHEW! and I MADE IT! GAH, the finale of Food Networks Halloween Baking Championship only has one episode left, just me and the boys now! I’m happy the Rudy got a double win, he’s seriously one of my favorite people and he’s SO crazy talented, glad some of it shown through. Personally the speed is really killing me, I’m making silly mistakes, but I’m still having a BLAST!
SO preheat – doughnuts! REALLY? those stupid biscuit doughnuts from last week were horrible, now it’s time to redeem myself, but all of a sudden I realize, I make RAISED doughnuts, not cake doughnuts… I’ve NEVER made cake doughnuts! Do I have time to make raised? We’ll see! I’d rather stick with what I know, what I am familiar with, than risk something crazy I’ve never tried before. I thought Audrey’s Pate a Choux crullers were brilliant, BTW. And I wish I could have tried Rudy’s doughnuts!
On the show I used fast rising yeast, to help cut the rise time down, and I think overal it was fairly successful! If I’d had just 10 more mins of rise time I think that would have made all the difference. That and toasting my walnut brains! GAH.
So the only thing I changed from the show was the blood. On the show I couldn’t think of a good “blood” that would compliment my cinnamon apple doughnuts, so I went with just a corn syrup, red dye and cocoa. It worked, but was thinner than I wanted, and kept sliding off the walnuts. Using my Caramel Sauce this time was PERFECTION! just thick enough, AND the flavor fit the doughnuts brilliantly!
- 1 C whole milk warmed
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 lrg egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C+ all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 5 Medium apples
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3/4 C packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 1/3 C butter
- 2/3 C heavy whipping cream
- Super red Gel Color
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 whole Walnuts
- proof the yeast in the milk with the 1 tsp sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add the milk/yeast, the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Switch to a dough hook and add 2 cups of the flour and mix, then add 1/4 C of flour at a time until the dough gathers around the hook and cleans the side of the bowl. don't add too much flour
- Turn out and knead, place in an oiled bowl and let rise 1 hour
- peel, core and slice apples, cut into small pieces
- melt butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar over medium heat
- stir in apples, 3 Tbsp water and lemon juice
- cover and cook stirring occasionally 4-6 min until slightly soft
- in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water, add to pan stirring, cook apples until soft and filling is thickened, let bubble 1 min
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugars, syrup, and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream
- Stir in Red Dye
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spread the walnuts onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with some salt
- cook for 8-10 mins, until golden, let cool
- Roll out about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3 inch rounds
- Get half of the circles damp with some water around the edges
- fill HALF of the circles with about 1 Tbsp of apple filling
- top with the other half and press into place, re-cut to SEAL the edges
- place on baking sheet and let rise 20 mins, about doubled in size
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Bake doughnuts for 5-8 mins
- Mix the powdered sugar, cinnamon, milk and vanilla
- Dip the warm doughnuts in the glaze
- dip each walnut in the caramel sauce, and place on top of doughnuts
- drizzle on more caramel "blood"
And that’s that! we’re over half way through the recaps! are you enjoying them so far!!! Don’t forget to tune in Monday night 9/8c for the season finale to see who wins it all!
All the Halloween Baking Championship recreations
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email