I’m a meat and potatoes girl through and through – I mean I love food period (well except healthy food, salads, “lite” etc…) but I can’t think of a meat and potato combo I don’t love. I’ll always be a happy camper with any meal that has these two items… SO putting the two together is an OBVIOUS choice – Shepherds pie (although you could also call it “cottage pie”) meat with some veggies and flavoring and topped with a creamy mash then baked – YUM!
Now I say this a lot – but it should be said again – the best part about cooking from scratch is you can PERSONALIZE your food! So while this is a great guide for a classic shepherds pie you can of course change it up a bit! I DID! I added corn in addition to the peas – not 100% traditional but something I enjoy!
Kay let’s talk mash – 2 tricks – 1. I used a potato ricer – you can mash these HOWEVER you like though – I just love the outcome of the ricer. and 2. adding FRESHLY grated parmesan to the potatoes – got this trick from Gordon Ramsey of course – and I have to say it’s DIVINE.
Side note – I piped mine on because it’s pretty AND it makes it more light and airy – IF you spread yours make sure to use a fork to mess it up a bit so you don’t get a flat brown crust along the top – you want the golden brown to just kiss the peaks of the potatoes
Traditional Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb or beef or a mixture of the two
- olive oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 sprigs Thyme
- 2-3 sprigs Rosemary chopped
- 1/2 C beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp red wine optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 C frozen peas
- 1/2 C frozen corn or skip the corn and do 1 C peas
- 4-5 Large potatoes peeled and cubed for faster boiling if you want
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for sprinkling
preheat oven to 400
Start by boiling the potatoes
then start the meat - add the ground meat to a 12 inch skillet and brown
drain all the grease/fat (this is important so you don't get soupy/greasy meat when you scoop the final dish)
add a splash of olive oil and add the carrots, onions and garlic - cook a min or two
add the fresh thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, beef broth and red wine.
stir it and keep cooking until you cook down the liquid to almost nothing - it will still be moist but not wet.
add the frozen peas and carrots and give it a quick stir then scoop into whatever container your going to bake it in
the potatoes should be done now so it's time to mash them - you can do this however you want - I prefer to rice them - it's amazing
add the melted butter, cream, salt and pepper to taste and the parmesan and fold together - it will be really creamy
add on top of the of the meat mixture - you can pipe it on to be pretty like I did or just plop and spread - don't leave it perfectly smooth though, take a fork and mess it up so that it has texture.
top with with a light sprinkling of parmesan and bake it for 20 mins, until the potato tips are golden
AND today is National PIE day! aka Pi Day! I ADORE pies, savory, sweet, quiche, tarts, all forms – This is one food holiday you don’t want to miss – it’s crazy fun – even my kids school is getting into it! We do all day pie! We’re doing Spinach artichoke quiche for breakfast, Shepherds pie for lunch, pot pie for dinner and sour cream lemon pie for dessert this year!
12 BRAND NEW pie recipes for pie day from Celebrating Food Bloggers!
- Traditional Shepherds Pie – HERE
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie – Life Made Simple
- Strawberry Chocolate Pie – Baking with Blondie
- Raspberries and Cream Pie – Real Mom Kitchen
- Vegan Berry Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust – Namely Marly
- Lemon Meringue Pie – The Baker Upstairs
- Pineapple Fluff Pie – Yellow Bliss Road
- Instant Pot or Crockpot Beef Pot Pie – 365 Days of Slow Cooking
- German Chocolate Pie – Creations by Kara
- Chicken Pot Pie with a cheddar biscuit crust – Hey Grill, Hey
- Meat and Potatoes Pie – Foodie with Family
- Coconut Custard Pie – Gather For Bread
Nine more Pies (and Tarts – but that’s basically pie, right?) from ME
- Lemon Sour Cream Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
- Caramel Toffee Frozen Pie
- Blood Orange Tart
- Apple Crumble Tart
- Raspberry Curd Tart
- Spinach Artichoke Quiche
- Pecan Pie Tart (in the ecookbook)
- Turkey Pot Pie (in the ecookbook)
And just for fun – Pie extras
- Hot Pumpkin Pie drink
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Slice of Pie Cake Pops
- Flaky Pie Crust
- Pate Sablee, Pate Sucree, Pate Brisee recipes
- Graham Cracker Pie Crust
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.