I love making themed foods for holiday dinners! For St. Patricks day we love to make this Shamrock shaped green pizza! I’ve been making it for years and my kids look forward to it every year – what do you make for Holiday dinners?
How I created this St Patrick’s day Pizza recipe
The first time I made this pizza was 16 years ago when my oldest was a year old. I also do the same thing for St Valentines day too! I like to use Alfredo pizza for these because it’s white and a great base for adding food dye vs a tomato sauce based pizza – but honestly you could just use the green dough and create the shamrock shape and add any toppings you like! I also use a lot of green toppings – spinach, green onions, artichoke hearts… Now if only I could get green cheese (Actually I could make my own mozzarella and dye it green… Maybe next year)
Just take me to the Shamrock Pizza already!
If you’d rather skip the step by step images and recipe tips along with links to other Holiday themed recipes and get straight to this delicious Alfredo Pizza– simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
So the color you obviously get from a food dye. I prefer the gel food dyes for a stronger color. I like to add the dye before I’ve added all the flour – to get the color evenly added. So the flour – don’t add it all at once – you add half the flour and mix until it’s smooth. Then add the flour little by little until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl while mixing. After kneading a few mins text the dough – pull out a small amount of dough out and stretch it out – if it rips quickly knead longer. It should get thin and stretch nicely
Once it’s ready let it rise until double in size – usually between 1 and 1 1/2 hours – this depends on weather and altitude. After rising knock the dough back down and divide in half. Roll out a circle to about 10-11 inches then make 4 cuts, two close together for the stem and the other two around the 1/3rd marks to create the three shamrock leaves. Then press the corners back into the dough as best you can and roll out the dough the rest of the way. Now prick the dough all over with a fork.
I like to prebake my pizza crust half way – this keeps the toppings from drying out when you bake the crust. If you prefer you can add the sauce and toppings to the totally raw crust and bake it completely in one shot. Totally about your preference. It’s another step to half way bake then take out and top, but I think the end result is worth it.
Tips to Make the Perfect Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Dough – don’t add too much flour – while kneading stop adding flour once the dough starts to clean the bowl
- Dough – you want the dough to have enough stretch – keep kneading until when you stretch a small amt of dough it gets thin but doesn’t break
- Dye – add the dye before all the flour is added – it will be easier to spread the color evenly
- Alfredo – this recipe isn’t an authentic alfredo recipe – it’s a white sauce with parmesan to have the flavor of alfredo but easy to make and doesn’t separate
- Alfredo – don’t over sauce the dough – it keeps the crust from baking enough and isn’t necessary – enough for flavor and holding the toppings in place
- Toppings – the more ingredients you add the less of each one you need – you don’t want to over top any pizza
- Cheese – you can add any cheese you want but cheese that melts well does better – so mozzarella is always a great one, I like to add a little parmesan to keep the alfredo flavor going
- Baking – I half bake the crust so that the chicken and other toppings don’t dry out while baking
To make this Shamrock Pizza I use these tools:
Green Shamrock St Patricks day Pizza
If you love themed holiday dinners like this shamrock St Patrick’s day pizza as much as we do, consider leaving a 5 star review and be sure to tag me on social media when you share it! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love Holiday Food you’ll love these other holiday themed recipes!
To watch me make this St Patricks day Shamrock pizza play the live cooking video in the recipe card
Chicken Alfredo Pizza Recipe
pizza dough recipe
- 2 C Warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4+ C bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 C milk
- 1/3 C heavy cream
- 1/2 C fresh grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch white pepper
- green food dye makes 2
- 1 1/2 chicken breasts cubed
- 2 bunches Green onions sliced
- 4 tsp garlic
- 3 slices Thick cut Bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 oz mushroom chopped
- 2 oz Spinach - sliced
- 4 oz Artichoke hearts chopped
- 1 1/2 C Mozzarella shredded
- 3/4 C fresh grated parmesan
- Add the yeast, sugar and warm water to a mixing bowl and let bloom for 5-10 mins
- Add olive oil and blend
- add 3 C of bread flour and salt and mix with a dough hook
- add the green dye and knead until an even color
- add 1/4 C flour at a time and mix until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl - it will be different depending on your a altitude and humidity level
- knead for 5 more mins in the mixer or by hand until the dough isn't too sticky and can stretch without breaking
- place in an oiled bowl and cover - let rise until doubled in size (1 - 1 1/2 hours)
- knock down and divide into two dough ball
- in a medium saucepan melt the butter
- whisk in the flour and cornstarch until smooth and cook for a few moments - let the roux become a little tan.
- while whisking slowly add the milk and cream - whisk until smooth
- bring the mixture to a simmer and take off the heat
- add the parmesan, salt and white pepper and stir until the cheese is melted
- add the green dye and stir until the color is even
Baking and Assembly
- Sautee the chicken breasts in olive oil with salt and pepper. (tip- Start with a HOT pan and don't mix it too often to get a nice golden color)
- Add the green onions and garlic to the pan the last few minutes to slightly sautee
- place a Pizza Stone to the oven for baking
- Preheat oven to 425 (or preheat grill to medium heat)
- Roll out the pizza dough into a circle - when the pizza is almost 12 inches make four 1/2 in cuts around the outer edge to create the 3 leaves and step of the clover. Press the points of the cut back into the dough and roll out a little more to get the right shape.
- prick with a fork all over and prebake 5-6 mins
- spread the sauce onto the dough, it should cover it completely but be thin.
- Now spread the toppings over the top - I start with the chicken, onion and garlic mixture, then add the mushrooms, spinach,artichoke hearts and bacon bits
- Top with a thin layer of the cheese (you don't need to use it all)
- Put it back in the oven and bake another 5-6 mins, until the edges and cheese are golden
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020