I can’t believe it’s December already! I feel this way every year. It takes me 6 months to get used to the idea that it’s a new year then all of a sudden it’s December and the year is almost over. BUT who has time to focus on the end of the year when it’s CHRISTMAS!!! Rich decadent food is everywhere and tons of parties and socials… AND it’s all about GIVING, hard to not be ridiculously happy.
One of the things I have loved about blogging is the people it’s brought into my life. One of my favorite people is Amanda from I am Baker – she’s HILARIOUS and I had been a fan for years when we finally met in real life – I was super nervous, but she lived up the hilarity of her online self and I’ve adored her ever since. SO when she asked if I’d come film a Facebook Live video with her I practically screamed YES!
When she asked me what I wanted to make I decided I wanted to do a fun and simple Christmas cake! I probably sketched out like 15 versions of this cake before I decided on this one – I fell in love with the idea of a super huge mustache – and it went from there!
- Dense Cake – this is a double batch of my Chocolate cake – baked as 6 short layers or 4 tall layers (8×3 pans). Now I actually used two 8×3 pans and then the wilton wonder mold for the practice run to get the shape of the top, but I simply carved the cake for the one we make in the live video
- Ganache – simple basic ganache, 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, about 4 cups.
- serrated knife for leveling and carving the cake
- turntable (I use a shelf turner under the cake stand if I’m using one.)
- frosting spatula
- fondant – ivory, red, white and black
- fondant mat
- rolling pin
- sharp small knife
- fondant tools
- luster dust
- food grade spirits
So there you have it!!! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Don’t forget I’ll be going live on FB and YT ever Wednesday at 12:30 MST and I’ll be trying to add Saturdays at 3:30 MST so follow, subscribe or like based on the platform you prefer and come hang out!!! Let me know in the comments what other decorators or bloggers you’d like to see on my show as a guest!
And I couldn’t help but include this picture of Baby Boy – he loves helping me with my pictures – he’s my hand model most of the time – and he couldn’t wait to break into this Santa Cake! Happy Holidays!!!
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email