Creamy, warm and delicious this homemade hot butterbeer recipe is easy to make and everything Harry Potter fans could hope for.
How I created this Hot Butterbeer recipe
Two years ago the kids and I spent a week at Universal Studios and as huge Harry Potter fans we spent most of our time in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!
It was of course magical, I seriously can’t can’t express enough how amazing the park is. ANYWAY one of our favorite things ever was the butterbeer!
When you read about a food item in a book and they describe it you get an idea in your head of what it will be like. BUT everyone might have something different in their head (like how I was pronouncing Hermione wrong).
So I was skeptical, would it really live up to my imagination? Thankfully it did! Now the summer we went they only had the cold butterbeer and frozen butterbeer so I had to visit the park again in winter to get the Hot Butterbeer and oh MAN was it worth it!
Now I already had recipes up for the cold butterbeer and the frozen butterbeer so when I decided to make a full video on Harry Potter Butterbeer recipes I clearly had to add the warm butterbeer to my recipe collection
Like before when I was working on my own cold and frozen versions I tried a few of the versions out there already. Let’s just say I wasn’t impressed with most…
But by using my own butterscotch recipe that I created for the other Butterbeer recipes I finally created a version I am in love with! my kids have already requested it weekly since we made this final version!
Just take me to the Butterbeer Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for warm butterbeer, along with links to other magical recipes and get straight to this homemade warm butterbeer – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
How to make Butterbeer
Make your own Butterscotch sauce – I know it may sound silly but it makes such a difference vs the store bought stuff.
Add some apple cider vinegar to the sauce to cut the sweetness. When just making butterscotch sauce for an ice cream topping I don’t bother with this but because we’re adding this sauce to soda and other sweet drinks it cutting the sweetness makes a huge difference
Use rum extract to get that rum flavoring but keeping it kid friendly and non alcoholic. If you want a boozy version obviously use real rum – but add it to the drink itself, not the syrup.
don’t boil or overheat this drink – with all the dairy in this drink adding too much heat will actually cause curdling and no one wants that – so heat low and slow and stop when it’s the temperature you are looking for.
What is Butterbeer?
Butterbeer is a fictional drink from the Harry Potter series, that is now a reality thanks to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. The book mentions cold butterbeer in bottles or hot butterbeer in “foaming tankards”.
JK Rowling describes butterbeer as tasting “a little bit like less-sickly butterscotch” and it does have alcohol in it in the book (enough to get house-elves drunk).
The Executive Chef for Universal Parks went through about 15-16 versions before they got one that JK Rowling herself approved of! The park version is non alcoholic and dairy free to be allergy friendly.
Now you can get this approved drink at 3 locations – Universal Studios Orlando Florida, Universal Studios Hollywood California and the Warner Brothers Studio Tour in England
OR you can make one of my versions at home and enjoy (obviously not dairy free though)
Hot Butterbeer Recipe
If you love these butterbeer treats as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love this Hot Butterbeer Recipe you’ll love these other Harry Potter recipes!
To watch me make this Harry Potter Butterbeer recipe play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you). You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Homemade Hot Butterbeer Recipe
- 1 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C light corn syrup
- 1/3 C butter
- 2/3 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 3.5 oz marshmallow creme/fluff
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 C cream soda
- In a medium saucepan bring the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil
- boil until the syrup reaches 240 degrees (remembering to adjust for altitude)
- take off the heat and let cool slightly, about 5 mins
- stir in the heavy whipping cream
- add the salt, apple cider vinegar and rum extract and stir
- let cool
- beat the marshmallow creme, heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp of the butterscotch syrup together – you want it to be fluffy and white but not stiff
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk and brown sugar up until the brown sugar is just dissolved
- Add the heavy whipping cream and bring up to the temperature you want to serve your hot butterbeer at (don't let it boil and stir frequently)
- Add 1/2-3/4 C of the butterscotch syrup. Stir until incorporated and take off the heat
- Add the cream soda and serve the hot butterbeer with some of the whipped topping
- refrigerate leftover butterscotch and topping
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie – made from a fresh pumpkin - November 14, 2019
- Thanksgiving Make and Take OREO Cookie Balls Party – Pumpkin pops - November 13, 2019
- Butterbeer Popcorn recipe and video – 3 ways – crunchy, gooey and popcorn balls - November 8, 2019