Apple pie is amazing and so are homemade donuts. Together they are perfection! Everyone loves apple pie filled donuts with a cinnamon glaze.
How I created this apple pie baked donut recipe
Remember back when I was on Food Network? Well one of the challenges was donuts – while everyone else was making themed cake donuts I was the crazy one who made raised donuts.
I have always loved fluffy yeast donuts, esp filled! That extra bit of flavor in the middle of the filled donuts is amazing! In the past I’ve made Maple bacon and S’mores filled donuts.
So when I was trying to think if a great filling for the fall and then I remembered this amazing apple pie filling recipe I have! PERFECT! Then dip the donuts in a cinnamon glaze and you have an amazing donut!
Just take me to the apple pie donut Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for homemade donuts, along with links to other donut recipes and get straight to this delicious apple donut – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Tips to Make the Perfect filled raised donuts
-the secret to a light and fluffy donut dough is not to add too much flour. And then knead it long enough that the dough has a good stretch and isn’t too sticky.
-when you roll out the dough to cut the donuts make sure you roll them thin and cut twice as many circles as donuts you are making (so for a dozen donuts cut 24).
-after cutting the circles add a little bit of water around the edge of half of the dough circles, this will help the two halves stick together.
-scoop a Tbsp of the filling onto the same circles as the water, then top with the other half of the circles of dough.
-squish and press the edges together so they stick together and the dough stretches out a tad bit so it’s larger than the round cutter.
-now cut the doughnuts again. This will seal the donut halves together and keep the filling in.
Homemade Baked Apple Pie Donuts
If you love these apple donuts as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
Is it donuts or doughnuts?
Doughnut is the original and official spelling and donut is an american creation that caught on when “dunkin’ donuts” became popular.
In most official or professional publications they still use doughnut, but looking at google trends online donut is far and away the more popular!
To make these homemade donuts you’ll need
- A good mixer, hand or stand – I use my Bosch mixer
- Whatever mixer you use I recommend a Dough hook
- I like to use this Apple peeler, corer and slicer to make it quick and easy to get the apple pieces uniform.
- a 3 inch round cutter
If you love Apple Pie Donuts you’ll love these other homemade donut recipes!
To watch me make these donuts (Halloween style) cooking show style play the video in the recipe card. A short recipe video will be auto playing.
Apple Pie Baked Donuts
Baked Raised Donuts
- 1 C whole milk warmed
- 1 Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 1 lrg egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 C all-purpose flour
Apple Pie Filling
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 5 Medium apples
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Proof the yeast in the milk with the 1 tsp sugar
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix.
- Add the milk/yeast, the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Switch to a dough hook and add 2 cups of the flour and mix, then add 1/4 C of flour at a time until the dough gathers around the hook and cleans the side of the bowl. don’t add too much flour
- Turn out and knead, place in an oiled bowl and let rise 1 hour
- Peel, core and slice apples, cut into small pieces
- Melt butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar over medium heat
- Stir in apples, 3 Tbsp water and lemon juice
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally 4-6 min until slightly soft
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch and water, add to pan stirring
- Cook apples until soft and filling is thickened
- Let bubble 1 min
- Roll out about 1/4 inch thick and cut into 3 inch rounds
- Get half of the circles damp with some water around the edges
- Fill HALF of the circles with about 1 Tbsp of apple filling
- Top with the other half and press into place, re-cut to SEAL the edges
- Place on baking sheet and let rise 20 mins, about doubled in size
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Bake donuts for 5-8 mins
- Let cool till just warm enough to touch
- mix the glaze ingredients until smooth
- Dip warm donuts in glaze and let cool slightly
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020