Funeral potatoes, also known as cheesy potatoes, are a favorite of potlucks everywhere! (and funerals) But this creamy casserole is good at your dinner table too!
All about this Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe
So I’ve always known these potatoes as Funeral Potatoes – kinda grim right? But for some reason this cheesy potatoes casserole is served regularly at family funerals!
We love these at Easter with Ham and fresh rolls – I’ve seen many versions over the years and this is my favorite.
Originally this family recipe called for 2 cans of cream of celery soup – but I’m not into canned soup so I start the recipe by making my own condensed cream of celery soup instead.
It’s easy, tastes amazing and doesn’t add too much time at all to the dish!
For the topping I’ve seen it all, from potato chips to corn flakes! But using buttery Ritz crackers is the only way to go – I promise!
Just take me to the Funeral Potato Recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for cheesy potatoes, along with links to other cheesy recipes and get straight to these delicious funeral potatoes – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Can you premake and or freeze cheesy potatoes
Once you hit the point that everthing is mixed and in the pan now is a great time to refrigerate or freeze the casserole for another time.
Typically I make a double batch, bake one right away and freeze the other for another time. I place the foil on time then wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap.
Also I don’t add the cracker topping if I’m going to refrigerate or freeze it – it will get mushy this way. I add fresh topping then bake
If you are using a glass pan make sure to thaw it before baking otherwise the pan will shatter. Using a metal or aluminum pan is good for this.
You can also add the cold pan to the oven while preheating to slowly heat up the pan and oven at the same time to avoid shattering a glass casserole dish.
Cheesy Funeral Potatoes
If you love these cheesy potatoes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love cheesy potatoes you’ll love these other potato recipes!
And more super cheesy recipes!
To watch me make this Cheesy Potatoes Casserole play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, it should be auto playing for you).
- ¾ C butter
- 1 ½ C celery finely diced
- ¾ onion
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ C flour
- 1 C milk
- ½ C vegetable broth
- 2 C sour cream
- 1 ½ C grated cheddar
- 2 bunches green onion chopped
- 1 ½ lbs frozen hashbrowns
- ¼ C butter
- 1 sleeve ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 350
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Add onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper – sautee 5-7 mins
- Add flour and stir – cook the flour down a little
- Add the milk and broth, cook until thickened – this takes the place of cream of celery canned soup
- In a bowl mix the sour cream and soup
- Add the green onions and cheddar cheese and mix
- Add the hashbrowns and stir
- Spread into a 9×13 pan
- Crush the ritz crackers and mix in melted butter
- Sprinkle over the top of the potato mixture
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 1 hour until heated through
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020