I have never made a quiche before… Yup, I LOVE eggs, love breakfast foods and yet I had never (this was my first year for making a frittata too!) BUT I was testing out new pastry crust recipes and I had this leftover Pate a Brisee (a pastry crust for savory foods, not sweet) and I needed to make dinner so…. And can I just say I AM IN LOVE! Seriously? what took me so long!
This has already become a family favorite and I’ve made it THREE times since the initial test. I don’t love a ton of veggies, but I do love spinach, artichoke hearts, onions, cheese and of course bacon…. So it was easy to come up with the flavors I wanted. I told my kiddo’s it’s like an egg version of their favorite Spinach dip! I mean BACON? Do I need to say more?
This is actually two recipes, the Pate Brisee (which I’ll feature on it’s own later) and the quiche. You can use a regular american flaky pie crust as well, or a store bought one if you prefer. I’m a whole egg kind of gal, but you can use egg whites if you prefer, I have about 14 egg whites on my counter right now (I made ice cream, and pasty cream, and a few other desserts this week) and there are only so many times I can make my marshmallow frosting so recipes like this are a great way to sneak in some of those extra whites.
- 1 C flour
- 5 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp ice water
- 6 lrg eggs
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 7 oz artichoke hearts chopped
- 8 oz fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 C onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed/chopped finely
- 2/3 C grated mozzarella
- 1/3 C grated parmesean
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 C bacon bits
- In a food processor combine the flour, butter shortening and salt and process to a coarse meal texture.
- Add the vinegar and water and process again, the dough will moisten and pull together
- Pat into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 15-30 mins
- Roll out the pastry dough and place/pat into a 10 inch tart pan, prick the bottom, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate another 15-30 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Beat the eggs and milk together
- Add everything else and stir until the mixture is evenly mixed
- Pour into the pastry crust
- Bake for 35-40 mins until the crust is golden and the quiche is set
AND serve and enjoy, seriously melt in your mouth perfection. In fact I’m craving one right now… Next time I’ll make a double batch, one for me and one for the family. Sounds fair, right? I’d love some more quiche recipes, what are your favorite quiche ingredients?
And just for fun, last time I made it Princess helped me make it for Periscope (follow me here) so ENJOYDo NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.