This chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake recipe is easy to make, soft, moist and always a huge hit. The mini chocolate chips go beautifully with the cinnamon swirl but they can of course be left out for a more traditional coffee cake recipe.
As a child I always refused to try coffee cake – cause I thought it was made with coffee (I mean the name IS Coffee Cake, right?) and even the smell of coffee has always been unappealing to me. Of course as an adult I’ve learned that coffee cake is basically cake that’s acceptable to eat as breakfast – WINNING!!!
Last week when I made a few batches of this (filming, pictures, more just to eat…) my kids had the same reaction I’d had and refused to eat “coffee cake” until I explained there wasn’t any coffee in it – BAHAHAHAHA – history repeats itself.
Coffee cake got it’s name cause it’s typically served with coffee… Personally I still can’t stand coffee so I serve mine with my Hot Chocolate recipe! YUM!!
I actually spend the last week in Paris and now I’m obsessed with thick, rich, European Hot Chocolate and so I’ll be making some of that soon and I think this coffee cake would pair beautifully with that.
Tips for making Chocolate chip coffee cake with streusel
Remember to adjust for high altitude if you live high up – this is a basic baking tip
Don’t over mix the streusel – the 2nd batch I made I added extra butter and over mixed it and I ended up with a crust instead of a streusel – it will be messy but worth it to leave it more powder/crumbly
Don’t over swirl the layers – you want that ribbon of cinnamon vs a cinnamon batter
Use I use mini chocolate chips – I prefer a little chocolate as part of the cake vs big chocolate chunks – but if you want chocolate chunks use regular sized chips (trader joe’s chocolate chips don’t have as much “coating” and they melt better so you end up with melted chocolate chunks vs hard if you want to go that route)
Baking – this bakes a little dark on the outside – when baking don’t go just by the time frame – if there is still a jiggle to the center of the cake bake it longer, if when you press it a little it bounces back it’s done, if it stays indented it needs a little bit more time.
If you love this recipe you’ll love these other great breakfast recipes
Biscuits and Gravy | Cheese and Sausage Kolache | Traditional Liege Waffles
Corn Fritters | Spinach Artichoke Quiche | German Pancakes
How to make a Chocolate chip coffee cake with streusel topping
If you love coffee cake as much as I do, consider writing a 5 star review and be sure to share on Facebook and Pinterest! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
To watch me make this Turkey and wild rice soup in a cooking show play the video in the recipe card. There should also be a short teaser auto playing for you.
You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 C butter softened
- 1 C sugar – 1 Tbsp for high altitude
- 1/4 C light brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 lrg eggs
- 2 1/2 C flour + 2 1/2 Tbsp for high altitude
- 1 tsp baking soda – 1/8 tsp for high altitude
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 C milk + 2 tsp for high altitude
- ½ C mini chocolate chips
Brown Sugar Filling
- 1 C light brown sugar packed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp butter cold, in cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (375 for high altitude)
- Beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after adding each one. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream until well combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add ⅓ flour, ½ milk, ⅓ flour, ½ milk and finally the last of the flour
- add the mini chocolate chips and do a final stir to incorporate evenly
Brown sugar filling
- In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder and salt.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- Add the sugar, flour and cinnamon to a food processor – pulse (or whisk in a bowl)
- Add butter – pulse until crumbly (you could also add melted butter to a bowl and just stir until crumbly)
Assembly and baking
- prepare a 9×13 pan with a non stick spray – I prefer Bakers Joy
- Spread half of your batter in the bottom of your prepared pan
- sprinkle your brown sugar filling on top of the batter.
- Dollop the rest of your cake batter on top of your filling, using a spatula to carefully spread the batter across the pan.
- Use a butter knife, gently swirl the filling into the batter.
- Sprinkle all of the streusel on your cake.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes (40-45 for high altitude) – REMEMBER baking depends a lot on your oven – it may take longer – make sure there isn’t a jiggle in the center, when you press it it should have a little bounce and will be a deep golden brown and a toothpick will come out clean.
And today just happens to be National Coffee Cake Day! I love looking for new food holidays to celebrate – some get pretty silly and some are super fun.
This month I actually already had a coffee cake recipe – have for years – that I simply hadn’t shared yet so it was the perfect push to finally make/video and photograph the recipe! I hope you enjoy this and the 26 other coffee cake recipes I have linked here for you!
twenty seven tasty coffee cake recipes roundup
Celebrating food blogger 14 new coffee cake recipes
- Chocolate chip sour cream coffee cake – Ashlee Marie (HERE)
- Coconut Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake – Creations by Kara
- Lemon Rhubarb Coffee Cake – Crumb
- Coffee Cake Muffins – Pretty Providence
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake – Savory Experiments
- Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake – The Baker Upstairs
- Easy Carrot Coffee Cake – An Italian in my Kitchen
- Peach Coffee Cake – Real Mom Kitchen
- Coffee Cake Muffins (Vegan) – Namely Marly
- Slow cooker coffee cake – 365 Days of Slow Cooking + Pressure Cooking
- Cinnamon coffee cake muffins – My Mommy Style
- Mason Jar Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake – Premeditated Leftovers
- Grandma’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake – Simply Stacie
- Apple coffee cake with streusel topping – Supergolden Bakes
13 more Food Blogger coffee cake recipes!
- Blueberry coffee cake – once upon a chef
- strawberry coffee cake – grandbaby cakes
- Crumb topped apple coffee cake – The Recipe Critic
- Lemon raspberry coffee cake – lemon tree dwelling
- Cinnamon roll coffee cake – eating on a dime
- pumpkin coffee cake – sprinkle some sugar
- caramel pecan coffee cake – mandy’s recipe box
- instant pot apple coffee cake – a typical mom
- crock pot coffee cake – farm mom cooks
- cherry vanilla coffee cake – rock recipes
- coffee cake donuts – baker by nature
- banana bead coffee cake – divas can cook
- greek yogurt coffee cake – belle of the kitchen
More Celebrating Food holdiday recipe Round ups (scroll to the bottom of the posts)!
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
Haha, I thought the very same thing about coffee cake as a kid. A friend’s mom tried to serve it to me and I told her I didn’t drink coffee. She had a good laugh, then explained it to me. I’ve loved coffee cake ever since, and this recipe looks scary delicious!
I always thought it was made with coffee too LOL! Too funny. I am a coffee fiend so I’d probably eat this with a big mug of my fave beverage.
let me know what you think!
where do you say what size of pan to use? You only mention to pour into the prepared pan-no size?thanks, Janet
under assembly step 1 it says to prepare a 9×13 pan.
Wow, Ashlee! This recipe is amazing! And I love that mixer in your video. I’ve never seen one like that before. Also, so many layers of deliciousness! Love it!
Thx, it’s a bosch universal mixer – been around since the 50’s! I grew up with one, my mom’s is 40 years old and still going strong! Their website is here http://bit.ly/Ilovemybosch or you can find it on amazon too http://amzn.to/210Eyra I have a full review here http://ashleemarie.com/bosch-universal-mixer-review-love-bosch-series/
Streusels always make cake tastier than other ingredients in my opinion. And this coffee cake with streusel is looking scary delicious! Ever since I loved coffee cake I take the cake with streusel This recipe is really the best one.
awww thank you so much!
Wow this cake is really looking so delicious, thank you for sharing your blog
Wow, this cake is really looking so awesome, thank you for sharing your blog
you are so welcome – I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
If I make this the night before serving it for brunch should I wait to cook it until the morning or go ahead and cook it the night before?
either one would work, depends on if you want it cool or warm. I’d totally just make it the night before to save myself time in the morning
Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
wondering if you get a lot of spam responses?
If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any assistance is very much appreciated.
Sadly I don’t have anything to help you out! I also get a lot of spam responses but I just go through and delete them, good luck!