We love fresh strawberries at our house, we go through like two Costco cases a week when they are in season! So I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy them. AND I was looking for a fun way to use a strawberry on a cake (it all comes back to cake around here)
ANYWAY I decided to try Candied Strawberries,like these candied apples. Mmmm a thin candy shell that add’s a great crunch to these sweet berries. You can add color or flavoring but I left these plain. The kids loved these, they made great afterschool treats without feeling like I was feeding them a ton of candy. AND, bonus, it creates a GORGEOUS shine, seriously so pretty.
- 2 C sugar
- 2/3 C water
- 1/2 C corn syrup
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat
- When the sugar is dissolved turn the heat up and simmer
- Using a candy thermometer heat the candy to 300-310° and turn the heat to low (I actually turn it down at 290°)
- quickly dip the strawberries in the coating and shake it off, place on a cooling rack, parchment paper or silpat mat and let harden (it wont take long)
- These are only good the day of, so you can't premake these for events.
Make sure when you get close to the right temperature on the candy thermometer that you turn the the heat down so you don’t over cook your candy coating. once it get’s too hot that’s it, it’s too hot, so turn down the temp and move quickly. I had all the toothpicks in my strawberries ready to dip, and the cooling tray right next to me, I ended up double dipping, doing two at once, to get them all done quickly.
SOOOO pretty! And side note how HUGE is my BABY looking??? Seriously remember when he was just a little baby being my hand model? Seems like YESTERDAY, and now he’s this little mini man! Anyone have a baby I can borrow, I’m missing that stage terribly.