I love pasta. Like LOVE it. Alfredo has been my favorite sauce forever. So when I first started cooking from scratch this was one of the first recipes I worked on. It’s been a family favorite ever since. I make it about once a month. And it cooks up fast so it’s a great last min meal when I’m short on time.
It’s not considered “true” alfredo because I start with the butter/flour mixture to keep it together and thicken it. I like it better than traditional recipes though because the butter doesn’t separate and you can use it as leftovers much better. We’ll make chicken alfredo one night and then later that week do our Alfredo Pizza and reheat the sauce easily!
- 1/3 C butter
- 1/4 C flour
- 3 C whole milk (if you don't use whole milk then you'll need less milk more cream)
- 1 C heavy cream
- 1 1/4 C FRESHLY grated Parmesan (pre-grated doesn't melt right)
- 1 tsp salt (more or less to taste- balances the parmesan)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook approximately 1 minute, until bubbly.
- Gradually add the milk while stirring. Add cream all at once, cook over medium heat stirring well until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add Parmesan until melted then add pepper. Serve over pasta with your favorite meat (Sautéed chicken, Salmon, etc.).
So have you ever tried homemade alfredo sauce? I love it with pasta of course, and on pizza, but my favorite is to eat it with my homemade breadsticks. Mmmmm I’m craving some right now!
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.