I love gravy, it’s seriously the best part of the meal for me, I pour it on my turkey, potatoes, stuffing, even my rolls get dipped in gravy, so I like to make a huge batch. I usually run out of gravy leftovers first, and I seriously make a HUGE batch!
This gravy starts as a roux for thickening and uses the drippings for flavor. It’s really important to flavor your turkey well and fill the pan around the turkey with things like onions and garlic for more flavor! AND I made a video for you! I show how I make my turkey AND gravy
I don’t just rely on the drippings/juice, it wouldn’t make a big enough batch for me!!! I add a Turkey Gravy packet (I like McCormicks) and water to extra gravy AND I like the extra flavor. BUT if you have extra turkey stock or chicken stock you can also use that too!
Amazing Turkey Gravy Recipe
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C butter
- 1 package turkey gravy optional for larger batch - plus i like the extra flavor
- 1 C water optional for larger batch
- turkey drippings/juice strained from an 18 lbs turkey or larger if your using a smaller turkey you'll have to add some broth or stock
- extra water or broth for taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- I start the gravy when I pull my turkey out, so it's thick and ready to add the drippings after the turkey has rested a bit.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the flour, stir together until smooth and cook over medium high heat. Let it start to darken, just slightly.
- Then if you want a larger batch add the turkey gravy packet (I prefer McCormicks) and stir it smooth again and then add a cup of water.
- Whisk and let it thicken up, a LOT. But make sure it's smooth.
- Strain the turkey drippings into your saucepan, I just put a strainer over the saucepan, poke a hole in the disposable pan an tip it a bit, letting it all drain out.
- Whisk it until it's smooth again and taste it. Add salt, pepper to taste, if it's a little strong (depending on the amt of drippings/juice you get) you can add broth or water even.
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie – made from a fresh pumpkin - November 14, 2019
- Thanksgiving Make and Take OREO Cookie Balls Party – Pumpkin pops - November 13, 2019
- Butterbeer Popcorn recipe and video – 3 ways – crunchy, gooey and popcorn balls - November 8, 2019